Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were is Lake Union Sea Ray in this discussion? When was the last time they posted on this site?
LAURIE ANN

City/Region: Folly Beach
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: LAURIE ANN
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figure this one out.I bought my c-dory25 new in 2004 in crystal river Fla.
THE dealer has gone out of business,There is now a dealer in Charleston,
S.C .I needed warrenty work done DECK ROTTING . Talked to dealer said he would talk to factory.He never called me back . I call bret at factory,
HE said for me to get quote to fix boat. I asked why could'nt the dealer find someone. He told me that sense I did'nt buy the boat from the dealer in Charleston that it was'nt the dealers responsible.I hope your dealers on the west coast treat YOU ALL better.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just a collection of random observations.

C-Dory in fact knows that over 90% of the people who have purchased a C-Dory in the last several years visited this site first and that it was an important factor in their purchase decision. Tom Latham's words just show an almost incredible ignorance of that fact.

Gene and Buck (sorry for those of you who don't know them, they were true craftsmen - and later part of the Cape Cruiser fiasco) left C-Dory because of the work environment at the current Auburn plant and management's decision to build 25 boats a month rather than 6 as they had been doing in Kent. When our 25 was being built, there was a sign on the wall reading "Saturday is a mandatory work day for all production personnel." I don't know how many boats a month C-Dory is up to now.

The Ranger factory, for which Jeff has chosen to work, looks, smells and feels a LOT like the old C-Dory factory in Kent. John and Dave Livingston seem genuinely pleased when you come by for a visit. I don't know how many boats Ranger builds a month, would love to hear from anyone who knows. I don't know, but I will wager the old "open factory" days are over, or soon will be over, at C-Dory.

Over the years, owner feedback has made C-Dory a significantly better boat - prime example is perhaps the Barber Chair, but other examples abound.

It was obvious for last two years that C-Dory either needed to establish a dedicated repair / service division or get out of the repair / service business entirely. Don't know which was first, the decision not to service what they sell, or abandoning direct factory sales - but they certainly go hand in hand.

C-Dory used to provide logo wear gratis - now they feel they need to sell it. Obviously the value of a lot of happy people wearing C-Dory logo wear saying nice things about their products at the SBS has escaped management.

Although he recognizes my face, and knows the name "Pat Anderson," I am never sure when we meet if Scot R actually knows who I am.

Tom Latham looked very uncomfortable at the factory party during the SBS to me. I don't know him and I doubt I ever will now (although he MAY have a 16" x 20" Neil Rabinowitz aerial photo of my boat, and David's, hanging in his office!). I wonder if we may have had had the last SBS factory party.

The best I can say about the cost-cutting manufacturing measures such as the molded interior is that they are not as awful as feared - but they are no improvement.

Bottom line to me - just about all the recent C-Dory decisions are wrong, wrong, wrong. They act like they don't understand the value of the incredibly loyal and pro-active customer base that has been built up. A loyal customer base is hard to build up and easy to lose. C-Dory's actions and words clearly are intended to distance themselves from their customers. I have to wonder if this debate has not already been had inside a closed conference room in Auburn...

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi laurie ann,
sorry to hear of your misfortune.
all dealerships are not created equal. however, the factory has never failed me.
in your situation, perhaps your first call, from this point forward, or until a local dealer is established, should be direct to c-dory. they, then, can and will determine the best course of action and advise you accordingly.
my experience with them tells me they are truly interested in a successful conclusion.
hope this tibet helps.
best regards
pat
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds to me like we all need to just step away from the monitor and go boating.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Tom Lathum Reply with quote

Pat,
Very well put from a person who has a good depth of knowlege of the boats and understanding of quality!

Thank you.

My fear is that this "brand" is being built up to sell to Brunswick. From a web post regarding defects in some Bayliners the last line is:
"PS: Tom Latham is no longer a member of our company. Please pull him from your list." Previously Tom Lathum had been listed as an employee of "US Marine" and builders of the Bayliner Maxium series.

I was attacked in a PM for what I said about Tom Lathum yesterday--so I'll reserve my comments to private mail. But there are a number of C Dory members who seem to be dilusional about what is happening--you have a very good handle on it!

Regards,

Bob Austin

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi bob,
you are very gracious, thank you for your kind words.
in todays environment, many ways for a company to grow, production and/or acquisition. the latter seems prevalent today.
i tend to view these situations as, when one door closes, another one opens. can't get overly concerned one way or another. you know, in the end, life is to short to drink cheap wine.
for my wife and i, the best boating has to offer is the good fellowship, and that's what this site is all about.
early in my career, i was told, you can tell how big a man is by the size the problem, that gets him down.
never sweat the small stuff.
well, at any rate, good to hear from you.
best regards to all.
pat
tom&shan

Photos: Dakota
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita Marie wrote:
Were is Lake Union Sea Ray in this discussion? When was the last time they posted on this site?

I dont think they carry C-Dory anymore. Rolling Eyes
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it sounds to me like we all need to just step away from the monitor and go boating.

Ken, I want to but the weather keeps getting in the way.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Shotwell is still in operation in Crystal Rivers. The descision was made in Auburn WA as to discontinue Mike (3 Rivers) as a C-Dory dealership when he took on the Cape Cruiser line. Mike an his crew are still going strong, and taking care of the C-Dory owners in their area too. Saw him at the Miami Boat show.

The C-Dog site was kinda sorta a parallel to the C-Brat site, other than the simple fact that if you said something negative about our boats, your post would be heavily edited, or taken out totally. Sort of a C-Dory owners site ran by Russia.... But... the same ol man Ken who did not like some of what I said at time, pulled some of my comments, is the same man who opened his house to me and my wife Sherryl while we were coming back cross country after having driven up to the Northwest to buy our TomCat.
Great trip that was.

Having said that...it is not our boats that make the C-Brats, It is the owners. It is the people. Not many states I can not travel in and know that in most of them, I have been to a gathering with someone from that state, particuarly the coastal states on each side, and be welcomed for lunches, diners, or even a little indigant care and billeting. Just great people, and real people too, not out to impress anyone, we just enjoy our boats.

Yes, I too have crossed many a state line to see, feel, ride and meet folks on C-Dory boats. That is part of why I have bought 3 of them. Folks like Tom, Starcraft Tom on SusanE who not only take out potential owners in a boat, but he also had the foresite to see that these folks would end up in the Keys down in the SE.....and would beach their boat....so...Tom did the only noble thing....and showed them the beaching capabilities of the boat. Now that is a C-Trial.

It is the people.... Thumbs Up

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
C-Dude

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Gryphon
Photos: C-Spirit
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my C-Dory after finding C-Brats and all of the great information on the site. I may have never purchased my C-Dory if it wasn't for this website. I sure hope that the C-Dory factory realizes this fact.
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the tone of this thread interesting - especially after all the rave reviews about the factory night during SBS. I couldnt make that.

LAURIE ANN wrote:
Figure this one out.I bought my c-dory25 new in 2004 in crystal river Fla.
THE dealer has gone out of business,There is now a dealer in Charleston,
S.C .I needed warrenty work done DECK ROTTING . Talked to dealer said he would talk to factory.He never called me back . I call bret at factory,
HE said for me to get quote to fix boat. I asked why could'nt the dealer find someone. He told me that sense I did'nt buy the boat from the dealer in Charleston that it was'nt the dealers responsible.I hope your dealers on the west coast treat YOU ALL better.

This is interesting, I have had a similar situation. I had a crack in the entrance to my v-berth near the floor. I was told to seek a fiberglass pro to fix it. Mail in the receipt, I would be reimbursed under warranty.. Haven't seen reimbursement or any contact. I guess I will call Bret.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: