The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Solution for CD-25 Pass-thru Cockpit Holes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Solution for CD-25 Pass-thru Cockpit Holes Reply with quote

This subject is like creating your will or trust for the first time, unpleasant subject but some things just have to be done. I've written about this before and my concern about the possibility of getting pooped (hate that word) from a large wave over the stern or rear quarter. I have an '03 CD-25, not sure which year they enclosed the rear of the cockpit area, I think '05. But there are 4 large openings designed to pass cables and hoses from the upper area to or thru the bilge area. There are substantially large (largest maybe 4"x6"). There was at least one sinking from a stern anchor hangup in big waves, and I believe this could have been one of the major contributors if not the only one.

I contacted C-Dory about covering those holes and possible venting problems with the gas tank under there also, they said no problem, cover them.

I mulled over many approaches to cover the holes, wood cover, plastic, teflon, fiberglassing, but settled on tightly packed closed-cell foam, you can see it here. This area isn't exposed to sunlight, so the foam should not deteriote from that. It is removable if more cables/hoses are needed to run, or when replacing existing items. They are not water tight, but will only allow a trickle into the bilge, the bilge pumps should be able to keep up with flow -- or a manually operated one if the batteries fail while under saltwater. I feel better now...this has been hanging over my head for 4 yrs!!!

With that rear area covered on later models, it isn't the same concern, although I'd make sure that cockpit piece can handle the stress of water full to the splash well top. If in doubt, I'd close up those pass-thrus.

Next I have to fasten down the holding tank area (empty area) hatch cover.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't resist, this reminds me of a multihuller's mantra I heard all the time, those ex-multihuller's out there will remember this:

"Better to be on top upside down than on the bottom right side up!"

I concur.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: