View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Happy New Years Reply with quote

Today's the first day in the "year of the pig" so Happy Chinese New Years! Here's some superstitions copied from Wikipedia
____
Good Luck
* Opening windows and/or doors is considered to 'bring in' the good luck of the new year.
* Switching on the lights for the night is considered good luck to 'scare away' ghosts and spirits of misfortune that may compromise the luck and fortune of the new year.
* Candy is eaten to ensure the consumer a "sweet" year.
* It is important to have the house completely clean from top to bottom before New Year's Day for good luck in the coming year. (however, as explained below, cleaning the house after New Year's Day is frowned upon)

Bad Luck
* Buying a pair of shoes is considered bad luck amongst some Chinese. The word "shoes" is a homophone for the word for "rough" in Cantonese.
* Buying a pair of pants is considered bad luck. The word "pants" is a homophone for the word for "bitter" in Cantonese. (Although some perceive it to be positive, as the word 'pants' in Cantonese is also a homophone for the word for "wealth".)
* A hair-cut is considered bad luck. The word "hair" is a homophone for the word for "prosperity". Thus "cutting hair" could be perceived as "cutting away your prosperity" in Cantonese.
* Washing of your hair is also considered to be washing away one's own luck (although mostly hygenic concerns take precedence over this tradition)
* Sweeping the floor is usually forbidden on the first day, as it will sweep away the good fortune and luck for the new year.
* Talking about death is inappropriate for the first few days of Chinese New Year, as it is considered inauspicious as well.
* Buying books is bad luck because the word for "book" is a homonym to the word "lose".
_____
Makes me wish I didn't wash my hair prior to getting my hair cut while wearing my new shoes and pants which I bought after picking out a new book. Well, at least I didn't talk about death... except just then.. dang it! Disgust Sad

Larry Q

City/Region: Rochester, Wa
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-ya
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger-
Keep your distance for a few days, eighty miles seems about right.
Hope all your evil spirits have given up and gone home by Wednsday.
I have to go to Bellevue for the day and I cause enough trouble for myself with out you messing up the whole universe.
Happy year of the pig!
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those Chinese sure are a homophonic bunch. As LQ said, keep your distance Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: