The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Skagit Orca

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aquaman

City/Region: Lodi
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Skagit Orca Reply with quote

I see owners for C-Dory, C-Ranger, and Tomcats on the site but no Skagit Orca owners. Are the Orca boats that new that not many are out there? I was just checking them out on the C-Dory website and they seem like a very nice boat. I have seen and boarded all in person except the Orca. The Orca looks to be deep-v boat with more amenities in which comes a price that goes way deeper in the pocket. It looks to be a very nice "six-pack charter" style boat. Can anyone tell me why the dealers in northern Ca. don't carry the Orca boats?? Don't get me wrong, I like the 22' Cruiser the best but I really enjoy climbing through all the different makes of boats just to get new ideas.
jimandlaurie

City/Region: Puyallup
State or Province: WA
Photos: Laurna Jo
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right , the Orca's are a fine boat..Dusty came over to Blakely a couple years ago with one that had the big outboard bracket on it instead of the IO. The empty spot where the "I' part was ,made a fantastic huge storage area..I digress... Great fit and finish on that boat, we really were impressed... my thought on dealers is that since they aren't a " mass produced" boat, that dealers may not want to "handle" them. Not that C-Dory's are ,but have awider appeal than the specialized boats out there...

Capt. Jim
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry-

I'm sure any Skagit Orca owners would be quite welcome here, we don't even care if you have a boat yet!

But there are very few of these boats produced, chiefly due to their cost.

It would be very hard for a dealer in Northern California to sell enough of these boats to make it worth while to stock and deal in them.

Most folks in that market would probably just deal with someone in the PNW or the factory directly.

If you ever get a chance to go up to the Seattle Boat Show (and C-Brat Get-Together), you can see them in person at the show. The fit and finish are superb!

Wouldn't want to miss out on the CBGT either!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
aquaman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf -
I am going to try and get out to the Delta event in May. It will be hard with work but I think I can make it for a day trip. I hope to see and meet some of the Brats. Will you be out there?
Ever since I was told about this site I don't think I have missed a day. I can't wait till I have my own Cruiser but it will come in time. I just don't like having payments so it will be within a couple years. I will have to live with my center console and bass boat until then. I will be at next years boat show in Seattle. I am actually going up in the Oregon - Washington - Canada area for a couple weeks in July.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, Skagit Orca mold was purchased by recently C Dory. The boat has been around for at least 10 years. We saw some when we were cruising the PNW and Alaska 1993-1995.

I would agree that they are not "related" to the C Dory line--but prospective owners are welcome. The hull forum is a farily conventional V hull, where as the previous C Dories have been a modified semi dory--at least until the Tom Cats came along.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquaman – there is a Skagit Orca dealer in Costa Mesa, California. Their web site is
www.allisonmarine.com

________
Dave
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquaman-

I used to keep my CD-22 down in the Delta at Oxbow Marina on Georgianna Slough, so have cruised most all of the north and central Delta.

We also raced dinghy sailboats for over 30 years in the Bay Area from Monterey to Clear Lake, and all over the West Coast for National Chamionships, from Sequim to San Diego.

So the lure of going down to the Bay Area from the central Delta on a cruise is not too great.

I'm not planning on going on the Delta Cruise at the time being, but I definitely think you ought to show up at the launch point at the Delta Marina in Rio Vista to meet those attending. You'll really like the group, and Jim Gibson is a great Cruise Leader!

Joe.
aquaman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf
By all means I will show up at least to meet some of the people. I'm in Lodi, only 25 miles from Rio Vista where it sounds like they will launch. I will contact someone once it gets closer to get details. Thanks for all the info!!
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the Orca before buying my C-Dory, I also looked at the Radon, the Sea Sport, the Osprey and the Parker-- They are all nice boats. The reason you don't see them on here is --- they are not C-Dorys and this site is for C-Dory Owners. There are plenty of groups open to general boating.
Not saying we don't have members that have "other" boats, but they tend to keep it to themselves. Keeps the peace that way.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yea--- and the Arima. I was going to the Arima dealer to buy Arima 22' when we saw the C-Dory Thumbs Up
aquaman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked at Arima and they did not impress me at all. Way to much $$$$ for way to little of a boat. I've been looking for about a year and the Dory is where its at for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: