The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

The Cruising Adventures of Wild Blue and crew...
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 190, 191, 192  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: The Cruising Adventures of Wild Blue and crew... Reply with quote

At Roger's suggestion, I've put this on a separate thread. If this isn't OK, with Tyboo or DaNag, let me know, guys, and I'll go back to the other thread.

To answer a few questions: no, we haven't been in the water, yet; we have snorkle gear onboard. The water temp is 73-75º... warm by PNW standards, but not by my delicate comfort level. Not a lot of beachy kinda places in the Keys, and the reef offers protection for the Atlantic side, so I haven't seen anyone surfing.

Here's an update, with images for the last couple days...

With the boats in the harbor at Bahia Honda, we took a bus to Key West. Relatively easy, but not on any particular schedule... we waited for the bus across from the entrance to Bahia Honda. After a half hour, there was some consideration given to hitch-hiking.

When the bus finally came, I took this shot below.

Notice the guy behind Brent - I think he may be in the Witness Protection Program. The bus was easy - $2 for the 37 mile ride to Key West ($1 for older folks who's name I won't mention), another buck for the city bus to Old Town. We had lunch at Cheeseburger in Paradise and began the “Duval crawl”. We parted with Brent and Dixie for a few hours and spent our time with a walking tour of Old Town... lots of neat architecture, bed and breakfast homes, etc.

At 5:00, we met up with our friends at Mallory Square to watch the street entertainers perform. Here’s a shot of Joan explaining something to Brent and Dixie while a rooster listens in.

There were jugglers, acrobats, a sword-swallower, dog performer, a magician, musicians, vendors selling shirts, jewelry, food, artwork... a definite street fair atmosphere with the slightly irreverant twist that Key West provides. Years ago, it was mostly folks who gathered to watch the sun go down. While that is still the premise, there is an entire industry built up around “the Mallory Square Experience.” Yes, we did our part by putting money in the hats of the entertainers.

This is as close to sunset as we got. We have seen the illusive green flash a handful of times in the past, but it was not to be today - a cloud layer right at the horizon obsured the actual moment of sunset.

With the sun down, we made our way past the honky-tonks along the docks and back to our bus pick-up point. Fortunately the conversation was good, because the bus was over 45 minutes late. Also, I promised Dixie I wouldn't mention how she had a margarita and knocked over a bicycle rack... so, you didn't hear that from me. Cool

Back at the transfer place, we waited a bit less and caught the second to the last bus going north (yes, that was our plan - just in case we messed up, there would be one more chance). The character of the bus riders changed a bit by night - one guy with a chip on his shoulder tried to bully some kids; another guy made sure he didn’t. Life in the weird lane. We compared notes on the way home to see who walked the most today... I think it was a tie.

It was a beautiful night when we got off the bus: still around 70º at 9:00 pm, clear as a bell, and more stars than I remember seeing in a very long time. Breathtaking!

Friday, February 9th. Joan and I were up early, fed Molly the cat, and walked over to the showers. You really appreciate a leisurely shower after a week of “timing.” Back at the boat, Joan made us breakfast. While I took Molly for a walk on the dock, Joan got this shot of a blue heron not far from our boat.

I checked weather on the computer and we decided to make today a short treck - if you’re following along with your charts, we went 12 whole miles from the marina at Bahia Honda to an anchorage between Ram Rod Key and Little Torch Key. Aong the way, a local came up to us in his run about and asked if we knew where we were going; Joan assured him that, in spite of the shoals, we were on our way to anchor out. We are the only boats in this area.

The water is that beautiful clear turquoise the Keys are known for. We anchored in about 5 feet of water, easily able to see that the anchor got a good bite in the sand. Discovery is anchored a couple hundred feet or so away from us, and is fishing while I am writing this.

In case anyone is concerned, Molly has had lunch, made a couple laps around the coaming on the boat, and has settled in for a nap. I think I may do the same. Joan fixed us some sandwiches and we are relaxing in the cockpit. This is truly “island time.”

I may get out my guitar later, tune it up, and play a couple songs... after all, I did buy an official Jimmy Buffett guitar pick while browsing at Margaritaville.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Bess-C

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Bess-C
Photos: Bess-C
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
You got my attention when you mentioned Ramrod Key. We're staying at a house on Ramrod Key for two weeks starting on 2/19 and renting a flats boat so that we can fish the back country. Let us know if you're going to still be in the area during that time.
Lyle

17 Center Console C-Dory 10/16
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

Love the new thread. Keep 'em coming. Caryn and I are thinking about heading down to the keys sometime in June. Thanks for the preview.

Also can you ask Brent if he has a bigger picture of his dinghy rack over the cockpit. That looks mighty interesting.

Peter
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread. Thanks very much. Your, dare I say, "professional grade" Laughing photography always adds so much. I can recall when you were going through birthing pangs with Wild Blue and had many frustrations. Probably seems worth it now.

Thanks again and keep em coming.

C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey- You guys deserve your own thread.
After all, I'm still a "Retiree in Training" for a few years yet. Keep the write ups coming. I have a lot to learn.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, J&J, for doing this for us, and thanks RT Roger for talking them into it. I am moving it to the Grand Adventures Forum because if what these folks do almost everday doesn't fit in a forum with that name then we don't need the forum.

Thanks again, and please keep 'em coming.

JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks, y'all. We just "parted company" with Discovery. No, we'll still run together, but they had let out an extra 100 feet or so of anchor rode and we tied off cockpit to cockpit. Great conversation and a toast to the sunset... and here in the Keys, it's all about the sunsets. Hot We just untied and bid each other good-night.

Brent and Dixie...

Brent on top, getting his sunset shot...

Joan enjoying the day's last rays...

And, tonight's sunset...

Colobear: We love the boat. As with anything, there are still things to be dealt with. Late this afternoon, I got a call from the folks at Guest... they are going to send out another charger under warranty.

Lyle: We have to be in Boot Key Harbor to pick up the above mentioned charger late next week. Not sure what the plan is at that point, but if we're still in the neighborhood, it would be a pleasure to meet you.

Peter: Brent just set up his rack this morning. I'll see if I can get a shot for you when he has the dinghy off next. You and Caryn will enjoy the Keys; June will be warm, but the water temp will be wonderful!

TyBoo Mike: Thanks for providing this space and the encouragement. We're having a ball and enjoy sharing the experience. If it's ever not "grand", you say the word.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said in the other thread, STOP IT, you're killing me, Jim!!!! Days are getting marginally longer and slightly warmer here anyway...maybe tomorrow I will clean the fallen leaves out of the cockpit, now that the show has melted! My only comfort here is looking forward to the July Gulf Island cruise, no overwhelming heat or humidity, just perfect NW summer comfort - when it will be YOUR TURN to eat your heart out! Oh, wait, I suppose you will be HERE then too! Crap! This working for a living is HARD!!!!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write up--the water is still in the 50's in the Florida Pan Handle--but 73 to 75 was as high as it ever got in S. Calif.....Maybe you all need to get out in the Gulf Stream!

Glad you are having a great trip.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salem temperature today was 63 -- Major heat wave! Wink
alandgin

City/Region: Duluth, MN
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Photos: alandgin (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim and Joan,

Love to read about your adventures in Florida as we sit up here in northern Minnesota with a minus 11 degrees this morning! Sad

We finally got hooked up to DSL this past week, so it's been a blast viewing your photos now. Just reviewed Wild Blue's photo album this morning, and I surely appreciate your fantastic shots of the boat, The Blonde, and the scenery! No offense to you, Jim, but I notice that Joan gets a lot more hits than you! Very Happy

Keep up the great photos and superb commentary - no doubt, we all appreciate it, esp those of us up north!!

Al

ps: loved the story about you going on stage with the young fella and singing a couple songs - that woulda been a gas to have been there!!

Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey you guys are exploring the state I live in and never have time to see !!!!!! I love the travelogues ,keep em coming and if you come through Eastpoint in your travels, come see us !!!!
Marc

JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Special notice Reply with quote

Wild Blue and Discovery have moved on to an anchorage between Boca Chica and Stock Island. Discovery spent some time out in the Gulf Stream fishing today, but apparently didn't bring us anything to cook for supper.

Hold on, there is an official looking boat pulling up...

It appears that I have been served with "Cease and desist orders" regarding the discussion of activities of one Dixie B., crew of Discovery. Something about slander, libel, and malicious mischief. Twisted Evil Moi?

Apparently I need to print a retraction of some sort regarding the above mentioned party of the first part. Here's the new version of what happened in Key West:

We went there. We ate. We saw some stuff. It was fun. If anyone we know perhaps imbibed in the official state drink of the Conch Republic and allegedly knocked over a bicycle rack, we are not aware of that. "Don't ask; don't tell." That's my new policy. "What happens in Key West, stays in Key West."

Moving on to other less legal mumbo-jumbo, it's another gorgeous day; 77º, 54% humidity, mostly sunny, light wind out of the north.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. Wink
Wanderer

City/Region: Annapolis, MD; The Villages, FL
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Photos: Wanderer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,
I’ve been missing some good stuff. 1816 posts since my last log-on. Jim, Joan, Dixie and Brent-you’re making us regret not bringing Wanderer south this winter. We just discovered your write-up today. Good job. You know how to hurt a C-Brat.
Give us a call if you come back this way.

If you head back to Naples and have more cruising time there are some fun spots up the West Coast. We really enjoyed Pine Island Sound including Captiva , Pelican Bay , Cayo Costa, and Boca Grande on Gasparilla Is. See site below:

http://www.2wander.com/2wander/South%20West%20Florida/Cruising%20SW%20Florida.htm

If on the other hand, you decide to go west before heading home you might want to check out the site below: The Dry Tortugas

http://www.2wander.com/Sailing/SW%20FL%20Coast/Southwest%20Florida.htm

In any event, keep the stories and pictures coming. Say hi to the others for us.

Come travel with us: http://2Wander.com
jimandlaurie

City/Region: Puyallup
Photos: Laurna Jo
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat & Patty said it for us!! We would be right there with you if....only we could just win the lottery

2004 C-Dory Skiff- Little Poit Dhubh
2005 C-Dory 25 Cruiser -sold 2103
2002- C-Dory 22 Cruiser- Sold 2005
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Page 1 of 192

Jump to: