HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

How we do it in the South !

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: How we do it in the South ! Reply with quote

Had a great trip to Louisiana with some friends to fish the fabled "Midnight Lump" otherwise known on the charts as the Sackett Bank. It about 20 miles south of the mouth of the Mississippi River . Its an underwater salt dome [ called a "diapir" by geologist types] that rises from 400 Ft depths to 200 Ft. It creates a constant upwelling condition and is a very fishy place. The action was constant with the first fish [ 70+ LB Amberjack] on a bottom rig hooked within minutes of dropping anchor . We were chunking and kite fishing for the tuna , two very interesting techniques . Chunking is the magnum version of chumming ,with literally hundreds of Lbs of cut bonito and menhaden going into the water in the course of a day , and kite fishing is a kite/helium balloon on a short rod with a release on the line [ I guess you could call it an "uprigger"] that has your live bait dangling at the surface [ attached to its own rod] ,causing a commotion, and getting bit usually by the bigger fish . It a very effective and exciting technique as you get to see the bite .It also gets the bait away from the boat and there is no visible line in the water for the fish to see.

We left the dock 5 a.m. Superbowl Sunday on a 65'X23' Resmondo , built on Perdido Bay just above Orange Beach Al. The boat was very comfortable for all 10 fishermen with a bunk for all , 2 heads W/ showers ,and a great galley/salon with tracking satellite TV. One of the great things about the Alabama captains is they almost all have "Big Green Egg" grills built into the boat . That makes for some great meals aboard . We started a Boston Butt after breakfast on Mon a.m. and after the lines were in we had a great lunch of BBQ Pork and Sashimi !The boat has a high capacity ice machine and huge fishboxes to load em in . And we loaded em....

Day one fishing was started with the big A.J. and the blackfin tunas started biting as well . A blackfin is native only to the Gulf and Atlantic and is a smaller tuna . On the lump there are some pretty big ones in to the mid 30LB range . They are excellent table fare and on a blind tasting it would be hard to tell fresh blackfin from fresh yellowfin. They pull hard and are alot of fun on conventional or tough spinning gear. Later in the day the first yellowfin bit and it was in the 40-50 Lb range with 2 more came aboard before we stopped for the evening to watch the game .The bottom fishing was active in the afternoon with 2 gag groupers at about 25LB and 3 or 4 more A.J.s to 50 lbs.We also caught beeliner [ vermillion] snappers all day long in the 2-4 lb range . The beeliners would come up into the meatslick for a free lunch .

Day two fishing started at about 6 a.m. with our early morning mission to replenish the bonito supply . They were cooperative and we filled a couple full size trash cans . We were catching them for the boat's following trip as well as for our morning fishing . While we were catching bonito the blackfins showed up and the frenzy began .At least one angler was hooked up to a tuna for the next few hours. The kite was getting bit regularly and the chunk rods were starting to go off regularly as well . Then the first big yellowfin appeared in the chunk trail at the transom . It was big , in the 150 range . It didn't bite and disappeared . Then another one hit on one of the chunking rods and the big fish of the day was on . That fish ran Todd, the angler to the bow and with the help of the really great crew was kept from wrapping the anchor rode with about nine passes under and over the line . After about an hour struggle the fish was harpooned from the bow , walked to the stern and landed . It appeared to be about 120lbs and the bites kept coming on 50 to 90 Lb fish. We ended the day with 4 yellowfin and 8 blackfin and another couple A.J.s .

Then the bite quit, as it will eventually do, I was first to the shower, then to the cutting board with a blackfin cuttin up the prime parts for the sashimi plate and some loins to sear on the grill with some good ,spicy, genuine cajun seasoning called "Slap Yo Momma". A complete tuna adventure kit should always include wasabi,soy sauce and a good knife, don't leave port without it !
Marc Grove

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome.... and you have my address if you just have more fish than you need now Marc. Great looking trip.
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Sir E Bob, That's what I call a real Super Bowl Party..Boat-Fish-Pig and PigSkin.

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then.... Brigner (C-Pearl) is not the only C-Brat that realizes that sometimes, ya just gotta have SAT/TV to make the total occasion work!!

I bet that was one more super bowl party for sure. What a way to spend it... fishing, grilling, watching the super bowl in your own "private club" ...

Awesome.
CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice carnage! Thumbs Up
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are in big trouble. That guy on his nose third from the right is Charlie Tuna.

What a great way to save an otherwise wasted day of watching football! Way to go. You should have been on TV.

416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's mouthwatering! We just gotta get some tuna blood in our boat this summer.

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the way to do it captain ! Those aren't just fish those are fesh
Wefings
Dealer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see it now... 10 C Dorys rafted up on the Lump,Wallas heaters running,chum flying,dingies filled with ice and fish ................Rick and Donna , you in ??????
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys are having way to much fun. shouldn't you be more attuned to the common man's dilemma, slaving away at work, shoveling record snow falls, and dreaming about the day when the sun will shine again?
so, for all us common guys, in deep cold weather country, i bid you all
a great day.
pat
alandgin

City/Region: Duluth, MN
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Photos: alandgin (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Cool What a fishing trip!! Marc, are you in the photo, or did you take it? If you're in the photo, which one is you?

Marc, when I get the big boat someday (22' or 25'), I'll drive down to FL - AL and hire you to guide me out to the "Midnight Lump"! Very Happy

Guess, I'll just head out to the ice fish house and see if I can catch a couple 10"-12" crappies Sad and dream about those blackfin tunas Mr. Green

Al

Wefings
Dealer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the odd man out holding the Amberjack 2nd from Rt. I guess you are in for the Lump Gathering !
Marc
Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Marc Reply with quote

Wefings wrote:
I can see it now... 10 C Dorys rafted up on the Lump,Wallas heaters running,chum flying,dingies filled with ice and fish ................Rick and Donna , you in ??????

What was the date ? I don't want to miss that one ! C-Pearl needs some fish blood on her. And, Berts on his way with C-Pearl to you right now to get the new camper package on. Can't wait ! Thanks for the great service on picking her up ! Above and beyond the call of duty !

Last edited by Jeff Brigner on Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
alandgin

City/Region: Duluth, MN
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Photos: alandgin (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great fish, Marc! Thanks - nice to tie a face to a name. Very Happy

Al
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Marc, we don't have a Wallas, but you know our motto: "Have Mr Heater, will travel." The previous owner of our boat was into tuna big-time. She's been 60 miles off San Diego getting bloody. I want some of that action! Ok, not the 60 miles offshore part, but you get the idea.

We'd love to do a tuna trip...just depends on when...there's that dang work thing getting in the way of our fishing again. Twisted Evil

Maybe you could shoot out some ideas...are the tuna typically in the area all year or just in winter, that sorta thing. I think Brigner needs to get that pretty new boat all bloody! Jeff, we'll even let you clean all the fish. How's that for a deal?

Geeze, there's no fish emoticons here...lol

Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: