View previous topic :: View next topic  
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Wallas Start-up Problems Reply with quote

I just tried to start up the Wallas (125 DU) after its sitting all winter and could not get it to go; absolutely no response; no pilot light, no noise, nothin'. I've got new batteries, the fuse is ok, and there's plenty of volts at the unit itself. And Scan Marine is closed today. Does anybody have any ideas as to what the problem might be?
TX
Al
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moose, think all the experts are at Cathalmet, or wherever. Did a search on Wallas and problem and came up with an old post. You might do the same thing and see if one of these fixes it.

Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:06 pm Post subject: Wallas Fix

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 2003 Cruiser with a Wallas that had only been used once. When I went to fire it up it refused. The plate would warm up but the red light would not come on. Then it would begin to blink and shut down. Fortunately the good people at Scan Marine diagnosed the problem over the phone. The T-switch was malfunctioning. (Thermo switch) It penetrates the heat box just like the ignitor. It was fairly easy to remove - two wires and a philips head screw. The tech told me they have had a bad batch in and around 2003.

Just a heads up in case any one else runs across this.

C-Sick

PS Sure is nice to have a cozy cabn

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Bess-C

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bess-C
Photos: Bess-C
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. The fuse looked ok to me, but it was bad. There is a replacement fuse towards the back of the stove. Give it a try. I have not been able to find 2 amp fuses in my town. The smallest replacement fuse that I've been able to find is a 3 amp. Does anyone know if a 3 amp will cause a problem?
Lyle

17 Center Console C-Dory 10/16
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyle, probably not. Most fuses installed are very conservative. They only come into play if there's a problem and if there's a dead short (worst case), you could put a 10 amp in there and it would blow if the wire didn't melt and catch on fire first Evil or Very Mad . A three amp should be fine.

Charlie
KenMcC

State or Province: NM
C-Dory Year: 1999
Photos: Vivien C
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Moose,

The first thing I would check is whether you have juice at the on-off switch. What you have so-far described indicates that there is no power getting to the unit. A simple circuit tester on the two leads at the switch should tell you yay or nay.

If you have no power, then you gotta trace back to the batteries. (The unit should be directly wired to the batteries, bypassing any other circuits or switches).

If that's working OK, then the problem is probably with the stove. But I doubt it, especially if you are getting no light, no fuel pump sound, and no indicator light.

If fuses can be bad but not look blown, that may be something worth looking into. Not likely, but still worth looking into before shipping the unit off.

To me, yanking the unit and shipping it to Scan is the absolute last resort.

Although Karl at Scan Marine is a little hard to understand with his European accent, he is really easy to work with, and extremely willing to help. Don't hesitate to ask him to repeat himself - he knows he has a pretty heavy accent.

My recent experience with Karl when my fuel pump pooped out was excellent, and he walked me through a really sensible set of diagnostic and corrective steps. Pump is back up and running perfectly!

Ken
Rooster 27509

State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Catch-22
Photos: Catch-22
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al

I had the same problem with my stove so we only eat cold food now.

Just to put a smile on your face, Smile what I did was call Scan Marine and they were very good at resolving the problem.
Problem was a temperature sensor and they repaired it at no charge.
Per Scan Marine " Quit a few of these faulty sensors were put on the market and will be replaced as the problem comes up."
I'm sure fuel and power supply checks out A-OK, right.

Good luck
Jim
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the resolution, thankfully enough, was I called Karl this morning and he advised me to check the fuse on the underside of the unit itself. Silly me, I thought there was only one fuse on the thing. But sure enough, there was a diminutive 2 amp automotive-style fuse buried in the wiring that was indeed blown. He advised replacing it with a 4-5 amp as the 2, he said, was too small. I did and am now happily perking away and awaiting ice out on this blasted, still-frozen, northern MN lake!
TX
Al
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: