The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

House Battery Monitoring
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offhand I don't know the amp hours (and we're in Panama City - Naknek is in AZ...).

The original Interstate batteries were series 24, and when we replaced them a year ago the Interstate dealer asked if I wanted the same battery, or did I want to upgrade? For an additional $10/11 per battery I opted to upgrade to the higher capacity series 24 battery ... but (sorry) I don't recall the capacity.

We're currently in Panama City Beach (FL) recouping from some traveling "Adventures," but hope to be back on the road to Key West in a couple weeks.

Casey
C-Dory Naknek
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to guess he went up to a series 27. It is the next size up from the 24. This link will take you to the Interstate Battery site with info on their marine batteries.

________
Dave
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Casey, nothing like peace of mind with the Link 10/20 monitors. I have twins, so 1 battery each motor, I just choose which of the 2 batteries will be my house battery for the trip, usually lasts several days, about the same usage/equipment you have, never below 70% capacity.

My batteries when new were 120 amp-hr capacity (I think group 27), but now at over 4 yrs old I'd imagine they're down 10-20% capacity from new. Plan to replace them this spring before heading to Alaska, just because.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Plan C

City/Region: Port Townsend
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Plan C
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Whether or not to get a Link 10 Reply with quote

I have an electric car conversion, with 15 8 volt Interstate deep cycle flooded batteries. It has a Link 10. I like it and am glad I have it. On my CD22, and the way I use it, I don't have the need for one.

Two things to consider:
If you really demand a lot of your batteries, either add another battery or two or bring a charger. If you went wild and bought a nice Trojan J-150 12 volt, instead of a Link 10, you'd have some real value.

If you don't know what a buss bar is or a kWh, the Link 10 is not for you. It is not what you are interested in.

Another issue. Last fall I forgot to unhook my Link 10 when I disconnected my battery pack, and when I reconnected, the repair cost me $90. They are delicate.

To watch my batteries, I bought a digital voltage display that plugs into my cigarette lighter outlet. WalMart, $15, in the battery charger area. It's terrific. It gives me an idea of what the level of charge is, and when running, it lets me know that the alternator is charging properly. It is in line with the simplicity of the C Dory.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: