The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

One More Prop question.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DC45

City/Region: Eagle River, Alaska
State or Province: AK
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: One More Prop question. Reply with quote

In short, my CD19' Angler 90HP Honda came with a 13.5 X 15 - 3 Blade.
Its seems to be a good combo, however in "perfect" sea conditions (pure glass/low current) I can trim the boat out with the motor and trim-tabs and get her moving wide-open... to a full 6000 RPM. Its not everyday that the water conditions allow this. With that knowledge, I needed/wanted to invest in a 2nd Prop to carry along for a spare (is case a migrating "wood-salmon" decided to attack my boat) so I bought a 13.75 X 17 -3 Blade, with the thought that during ideal conditions, she didn't need to wind up to 6000 RPM (I just cant find the sense sometimes to pull the handle back). I of course ran this prop a few times and it worked as the theory claims (increase pitch/lower top RPM by about 200). However, that combination took away my cruising "sweet spot" of about 4400 RPM and changed the power-band for rough water.

I am going to buy a 4 Bladed Prop now. The Big Question is, with a 4-Blade do I need to increase the pitch to get similar results as the 3 Blade ?
(example: If a 15 pitch is perfect for a 3 - Blade, will a 15 pitch equal the same on a 4 - Blade) or is there a "general rule of thumb" that going from 3 to 4 blade you make a pitch change ? I have narrowed it down to either a 13 X 15 - 4 Blade or a 12.75 X 17 - 4 Blade. I really do not want to buy both. (wife says: a man don't need to have 1 motor and 4 props..hahaha)

I know somebody out there has changed from a 3 to a 4 Bladed prop and has some insight on the pitch ratio between the two.

Thanks in advance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: props Reply with quote

DC45,
I have a CD-22 with twin 40 Hondas. Originally had 11.1x13 three blade al props (original Honda, made by Solas I believe) and "upgraded" to 10.8x12-4 bladed al props by Solas. The 3 blade had a wot of about 5700 and the 4 blade of about 5400-5500. The 5700 was on a very light boat and the 4 blade on a load on the medium side. Used the 3 blades for a year and the 4 blades for the last 4; since I was a novice the first year, I couldn't make a judgement at the switch over time especially since it was at the start of a season before the boat was in the water. however, I have averaged close to 1000 miles/yr with the 4 blade and am happy with them. I've thought of going to a smaller pitch but that would probably increase my cruising rpm higher than I want. Now I cruise at about 4000 rpm and like the noise level. I might get the smaller pitch as spares (I now keep the 3's for that) for when I'm really loaded where wot is below 5000 rpm. Hope this helps.
Jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Propellers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: