The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Battery Switch Location on a CD 25

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AKDAVE

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Rebecca Ann
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Battery Switch Location on a CD 25 Reply with quote

I have a 2003 CD25 with the area under the splash well and gunnels open, ie no compartments, shelves, ect. I am in the process of replacing the batterys and wiring using 2 battery banks with a new switch with a charging relay, along with new busbars to cleanup the distribution wiring. The old switch was just laying on the cockpit floor under the splash well. I am trying to figure where to locate the switches and busbars in both a convenient but somewhat protected location. I gone through the site looking to see how others may have handled this without the compartments on the 22, or enclosed spaces on the later 25's, but could use some help, pictures wold be really helpful.
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RedFox is a 22 ft angler with the same problem. You can see how he rewired his switch at the link below.

http://groups.msn.com/C-DoryRedFox/_whatsnew.msnw?pgmarket=en-us

Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is screwed (bolted) to the front starboard portion of the splashwell facing the cockpit, bolt heads start in the splashwell then thru the 1-2-both-off switch. Hard to explain without a picture (yet), but is tucked under that forward, finished edge before the splashwell. Both my batteries are on the starboard side, side-by-side, but wish one was on the port side for better balance -- however, my dingy motor fits so well on the port side I hate to mess up that arrangement...compromises, compromises. I like the switch location because it's protected by that front lip from unintentional bumping and is as high as possible from water splashing in the cockpit (and protected from splashes). Also within 2 ft of the batteries.
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Minnow

City/Region: East Amwell
State or Province: NJ
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Minnow
Photos: Minnow
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up building a box out of plastic lumber and mounting just under the starboard aft seat. All of the wires enter from the top left in the photo, so that the box can be unscrewed and swung out of the way to access the battery behind.
seahooked

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: WA
Photos: SeaHooked
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKDAVE
This is how EQ Marine laid mine out. The view is looking into the starboard aft compartment.

2006 CD-25 Cruiser "SeaHooked" 2006-2012
Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
State or Province: VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Angel's pix, #22 shows, through a messy window, the switches mounted on a piece of starboard, bolted under the motor well servicing 3 batteries. This has proved very convient and visible enough that I don't forget to turn all of them off before the boat is placed in the storage barn at the marina.

The DC buss' are behind the helm and there is one main run forward, as near as I have determined. There are some pixs of this area before I took delivery and added my electronics.

CBRAT #208
2005 CD25 #075 SEA ANGEL (SOLD)
USCGAUX (RET), USN(RET)
Broadcast TV ENG(RET)
ka1rx@verizon.net
AKDAVE

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Rebecca Ann
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Angel, your switch location is what I was considering also. Do you find this location impedes access to the bilge hatch?

I have a rear helm with a enclosed compartment below. I am considering mounting the switchs inside this compartment with big cables (1/0) going to the batteries under the splashwell in the corners like you have. Would this put the switches to far away from the batterys?
Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
State or Province: VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The few times I have needed to access the rear hatch cover has not been too much of a problem. I have to go under the well at an angel, but there is enough room for this big guy to deal with access. If I need to remove the switches, they are bolted to the well's/cockpit forward lip and can easily removed with the service loop provided. Note that I have 3 batteries for the twin configuration.

The first page of my pixs shows the cockpit soul. There are 3 access doors to below deck. The starboard acces is where I store an extra anchor and 300' of anchor line, tow bridle, extra fenders and manual bilge pump, plus extra dock/spring lines. The port side is empty because of the plumbing and valves to the pumpout. The 3rd hatch is above the fuel tank and main electric bilge pump. I am not famialiar with the '03 cockpit layout of the CD25. I assume it is abt the same as my '05.

The cable run length as you describe it from the aft helm should not be a problem except as to the volume the cable will take up running aft.

If you go below deck, you have to then bring them up to the batteries, if you have them in same location as I do. This below deck approach means weakening the water integrity of the aft deck with "feed-throughs" for these cables. Would the cost and weight of the extra cable and supports be a factor?

The use of the switches are something you will need to address. Normally they are only used twice on a trip; once at its start and once at shutdown/end. Whereas the helm space may require an immediate access to a resource, such as a backup signaling device, spotlight, etc. This aft helm space could probably be put to better use for these items. These switches will takeup a bit of room, as will the associated cable layout.

If you desire to have some battery control at the helm, you may want to add a single security battery switch inside the console to isolate the main buss in the cabin from the cockpit. I have seen this done as a "poor man's security device". This would also minimize the cales going to and from the the aft helm station. I would suggest the main DC buss be located in the cabin, out of the elements, behind the helm.

Boy, did I get windy on this. Embarassed Hope this gave you some food for thought. I just got my camera back from the factory. If you need any better pixs to show you my setup, I should be able to get them within 2 weeks. I have my Saturdays to do this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: