The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Honda/Racor fuel filter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Notayot

State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Notayot (sold 2/2018)
Photos: Notayot
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Honda/Racor fuel filter Reply with quote

Ok, two years on one filter. It's time to change the Honda spin on fuel filter. Does anyone know how to remove the filter and the plastic lower bowl? I didn't get any instructions and cannot find them on the internet. The Honda filter and housing look just like the Racor filters. Do you just use a filter wrench to spin the plastic lower unit off first, or do you spin the whole filter assembly off first and then separate the parts. I have been careful to drain the water etc from the filter, but I have not changed the filter with about 100 hours on the engine. Any help?

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it right, just screw off the bowl, and if the element doesn't follow, then screw that off. When you buy the new element (Honda or Racor, whichever is cheaper) it comes with 2 ea gaskets. I just use a strap wrench.

The Racor element is a Racor 120, gasoline, on the CD-25. Changed mine when the engine wouldn't go over 4500 RPM

Boris
Notayot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Mine is a CD-22 with a Honda 90 hp. I cannot read the filter number, so I want to remove the element before trying to buy a new one!
squidslayer

City/Region: El Sobrante
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: ShirleyMae
Photos: Shirley Mae
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Racor Filter Reply with quote

Racors are a pain in the !@#$ to change and they cost more $$$$.... and are small....I changed mine to a Stainless steel mount Yamaha with a LARGE 10 mic filter that costs 1/2 the $$ of a Racor and are EZ to change.

Dick
255 Tomcat
"Shirley Mae"
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know where you can find a replacement filter. I have yet to change mine. You've been getting water in your fuel? I haven't seen any yet in mine.
Notayot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen any water in the filter, but I drain the entire bowl anyway. I'd rather not have any water get past the filter! There has been ab bit of sediment once in a while. I have purchased fuel at marinas from Olympia WA to the British Columbia Gulf Islands. When I get it off, I'll try to find the replacement filter.
Falco

City/Region: Flagstaff
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2004
Photos: Bucking Coho
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll know when you pull off the filter, but I bet it is a Racor. A 30 GPH filter element will cost you about $18. You can buy them online.

I replace my fuel/water filters every 100 hours, whether or not I have seen water in the bowl. $18 is a good investment vs. the hundreds or even thousands it will cost if water gets into the injectors of a 4 stroke, not to mention the towing fee back to shore.

be sure to apply a thin coating of oil to both the filter/bowl and filter holder o-rings.
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure agree with Falco....filters are really inexpensive compared with the other option.... I installed two Racor filters....one for each tank, and I seperated the two tanks...up to the valve... so if one filter plugs I can just switch tanks and be ready to go.... while I service the other...
I think El and Bill told me that.... once I had one engine stop while I was in a tough spot...sure glad I had the other to keep me under control while I figured out what was wrong with the stalled engine.... it was the fuel connection had come unplugged. I service the filters at 100 hours.

Joel
SEA3PO
teflonmom

City/Region: Red Lion
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Snickers AUG 08
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Filter Removal Reply with quote

I used a strap wrench to remove both the filter and the bowl as one unit. Then i held the bowl in a vise and again used the strap to remove the filter cartridge. Be sure to use oil on the rubber rings when replacing. I had some fuel problems I thought but no it was aluminum chips in the carbs. Honda 90.

Fred

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: