The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

I have the solution to the water leakin' woes!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I had posted about this fitting when I had a failure. It turns out that the fitting on the shower is "British Pipe Standard"--which is slightly different than our US tapered pipe thread or straight pipe thread. In my case the nylon had been cross threaded initially and the threads failed. I suspect that most of us should carry an extra fitting in case these fail.

We carry various lengths of dowling rod, and happen to have one which we use to support the "endless breeze" fan over the foreward hatch, which also is the same diameter as the shower hose--so that is another source of plugs. The wine bottle stopper is a great idea.

British Pipe Standard??? I served my time with an English sports car and a Triumph motorcycle back in the 60s! Everything they make leaked back then! So, any idea where I find a British Pipe Standard connection? AND, is it not 3/8s, but rather some metric or wentworth (or whatever) measurement????

Do you think the people selling these shower faucets are sitting around laughing... "Let's sell people stuff that they can't buy fittings for - that'll be funny!!!" Other shower guy: "No wait! Even better! We'll sell 'em the shower faucets AND the wrong fittings!" Room fills with sick, twisted laughter.

I took the plastic fittings from C-Dory to match. Do I have to take the shower faucets out to get something to match???

I recall that thread and something about this BPS. Keep in mind where I live... we have the Mexican Pipe Standard - keep twisting it 'till it fits! (Yes, that's a joke. I love the Hispanic culture or I wouldn't be living in Mexico-Lite!)

As a side note, we did find a fitting that works great on the water heater - it is a half inch ID with a swivel hose barb... no more having the weight of the water in the lines twisting those fittings!!!! Thumbs Up Yeah, I know: one in a row.

Thanks, Dr. Bob... I'll see what I can find.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Last edited by JamesTXSD on Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Water leak Reply with quote

I think were all in the same boat Laughing We sprang leaks everywhere. Some lines were not connected
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim – looking at your photo, it looks like you may be able to put the hose directly on the threaded nipple from the shower. If it wont fit but is close, try heating it a little, then see if you can force it on.
_________
Dave
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldgrowth wrote:
Jim – looking at your photo, it looks like you may be able to put the hose directly on the threaded nipple from the shower. If it wont fit but is close, try heating it a little, then see if you can force it on.
_________
Dave

Duh! That's a great thought, Dave. (We need a slapping the forehead smiley) The hose is a bit short, though. If I put an extention in the line would there be a problem with the water leaking at the threads? Joan is the plumber in our family... she got the fitting to not leak this afternoon. No telling how long that will last. I'm guessing it won't make it past the next shower. Frustrating that such a simple thing should waste so many manhours. Mad
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim – there are three things you can do.

1. replace the hose if both nipples are the same size

2. splice the hose with a fitting like this

3, if the nipples at each end are different sizes, do #2 above, except get a splice connection (image 2 above) with different size hose fittings at each end.

With the low water pressure you have on the boat, you should be able to make a repair as long as the fittings are close. Any slack can be taken up with a clamp. As far as the threaded fitting at the shower, a clamp should make a connection tight enough to keep it from leaking. One other thing to look at is, see if you can reroute the existing hose so it will connect to the threaded nipple on the shower.

________
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: