View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Antenna connector question... Reply with quote

Hi C-Dory fans,

I installed a new VHF antenna today (customization of the old one from a low hanging branch, thanks for asking Embarassed ). The place I bought it from said it is the same as the 8' Shakespeare, but it doesn't have the Shakespeare connector (from the coax wire to the back of the radio). I think I have it wired correctly, I'm able to transmit and receive (not sure how far it's getting out). Does anyone have a diagram or instructions showing how the standard PL-259 connector is supposed to be wired? I tried a Google search and came up with many places to buy these connectors, Shakespeare's nifty connector with instructions for that, but nuttin' else as far as how to wire that thing.

I put the center wire through the small opening, soldered at the end, wrapped the outer wires on the back part of the connector (no soldering), and put the rubber piece over that. It just doesn't look as substantial as the original piece that was on there.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

PS - The factory sent me out a couple new fittings for the leaking shower connection. I had to go through all three to find one that didn't leak. Not the factory's fault, but just a note to let y'all know that they did respond right away to my phone call to them.

We are ready to head out soon! Very Happy

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that all PL-259 connectors were the same, a simple RF connector. The center lead goes to the center post, and the shield is connected to the outer part. Make sure the inner and outer connection don't touch and you're home. Some are simpler, some are fancy. Since its RF, I don't tend to use solder, because I soon change something. Soldering the shield is always optional

Boris
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Antenna connector question... Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
Hi C-Dory fans,

I put the center wire through the small opening, soldered at the end, wrapped the outer wires on the back part of the connector (no soldering), and put the rubber piece over that. It just doesn't look as substantial as the original piece that was on there.

James, most of the higher quality PL-259's have holes in the barrel that goes around the shield up on the cable, that you can solder the shield to. If you don't have one of those, and it sounds like don't, if you have a problem, you might look for one. Yours will work but with any corrosion, will not make a good connection. If you can't find one, let me know and I'll dig one up and send it to you. Us hams use them all the time. Most of them also have a screw in insert at the back that lets you use a smaller diameter cable (like RG 75) instead of the larger RG 8 that handles more power. Some of us run 2KW on our amateur radio transmitters!! Shocked

Charlie
K4KBA

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I buy antennas with connectors installed. Digital antennas
are nice because they attach a small connector, and then after the
cable is routed, you screw on a special PL-259. Nice setup. Better than what
we had the Searay - the PL-259 was attached so you had to drill a rather
large hole to route the cable.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: