View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Downrigger gimbal mount question Reply with quote

Hi Brats,

After salmon fishing on Lake MI with Mark on Not for Hire last year we have decided to buy downriggers for salmon and steelhead in the Great Lakes.

I have pretty much decided on Cannon Uni-Troll 10, which has a swivel base, but am undecided on the mounting base. We have 30 degree rods holders in both gunwales and I'm considering the gimbal mounts that drop into these rod holders, which would not require the drilling of more holes in the gunwales.

Has anyone had experience with the gimbal mounts? Any comments or advice is welcome.

Thanks,

Nick
"Valkyrie"
Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ran and search and got some leads on my question, with one post saying that Dusty uses them. I sent him a PM.

If anyone has anything to add, thanks.

Nick
"Valkyrie"
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not used them but they seem a good idea. My only concern with them is storage. your just adding another bulky item that you may not want of the gunnel all the time and have no place to put the. but if your just fishing in the day and going home after that then they will work out for you i have to think about where even thing goes at night when we are tied up some where. If you mount then forward of the rear hatches then they get in the way of the canvas. if you can mount them back of that then they will be out side the canvas at night . Sea ram has his downriggers mounted out side the canvas in the splash well on custom alum. mounts but I came see where the mounts you plan to use could be installed in that area.
ckjackson

City/Region: Port Townsend
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: On your choice... Reply with quote

I would wait a bit to buy the downriggers...because Cannon is coming out with new models that are greatly improved over the old ones. I'm going to put either the 20 or Digitroll versions on the boat this spring.

Both these models (but not the 10) will link to a Humminbird depthfinder so that the skipper can run them off the dash of the boat. While I'm not sold on the utility of the Digitroll with its cycling maneuvers, I can see a great benefit to telling the riggers to auto-up without moving from the wheel--especially in strange waters. By punching a couple of buttons, you can bring the ball to the surface faster than you can tell someone to do it.

Unfortunately, I can't give you advice on mounting the beasts yet as I haven't picked up the boat-with-new-motors yet. I'm hoping for this week on that happy chore.

Keith
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the Gimball mounts I have have no experience with those. What I do know is that you will want multiple rod holders for stacking lines on our downriggers. The ability to hold two rods near each of your downriggers is desirable. You may find that its no advantage mounting your downrigger in a rod holder hole due to the two rods per downrigger needed. Most downrigger companys have swiveling base plates. I would lean towards those........Im sceptical of the Gimball sort. But talk to guy who has them maybe they are wonderful.

Chris Bulovsky
Washburn Wi
Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In PM's, Steve on Wandering Sagebrush and Dusty, who have both used gimalled mounts, gave then a thumbs-up. Dusty pointed out that he prefers gunwale mounts for shrimp-pullers, but Lake Erie is currently running short of shrimp. Thanks to both Steve and Dusty.

The Canon 'rigger I'm looking at comes with a swivel base and can accomodate two extra rod-holders for Dipseys or something else.

Thanks for the feedback.

Nick
"Valkyrie"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: