The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Tandem tire changing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Tandem tire changing Reply with quote

Had my first trailer blowout today - not sure why the tire failed, I can't see any obvious signs, it's still intact. Tire pressure was checked a week ago, so that shouldn't be the problem unless I ran over something.

Haven't had a tire failure in years, but I can now vouch for one of the advantages of tandem trailers; basically, it just felt a little "funny" - there was no strange behavior at all, and no stress - everything kept pulling straight and easy. I just let off the gas, slowed to about 10MPH, and limped along the shoulder to an exit I was just approaching.

While I had a bottle jack, the axle was too low to get it under. However, as luck would have it, Camping World was 2 blocks from the exit. I popped over and picked up a couple leveling blocks, which I needed anyway for those uneven campsites. Drove up on one with the good tire, and had the flat swapped out in a few minutes.

Here's what I picked up - very light weight and beefy. They aren't quite tall enough to swap the tire out, but they raised the rear axle enough to get the bottle jack under.

bongo

City/Region: Panamá
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pulinga
Photos: Pulinga
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Tire changing Reply with quote

Curious, Da Nag, you got no bites on your trailer tire blow out. I would imagine it is a worthwhile discussion item. I have my brand new Toland design 23 footer sitting on my garage in Panama (where the Canal is) and since I got it here for Christmas, the engine and electronics people won't install till next year. Therefore, I have been contemplating things like changing tire, particularly because I also was toying with the notion of lifting the trailer and boat on jacks when parked, to keep the weight off the bearings, so they will last longer.

Went out and bought a hydraulic jack, the ones with the little arm that comes up and lo and behold, it's not tall enough to reach the axel. Well, what I am trying to get at is that I would appreciate some generous outlay of savvy on this area on behalf of such a extraordinary collection of experienced seafarers. Whew! got to get a sail to capture all that wind...

Things like: Do you use the car jack to change the tire, or you have a special one? Lifting the loaded trailer and boat with the puny car jack seems insufficient. What about chocks? Other goodies? Or is all of this just to basic, for old sea lions?

Nasué
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent questions.

Had similar problems with my CD22 and double axle trailer (King) just trying to block it up for extended stay in my gravel driveway.
Car jack was useless. Purchased a 2 T extending screw type jack and bent it !
In the end I purchased a 3T Hydraulic jack (NASCAR type thing) and 4 ea 2 Ton stands.
With that I can lift the whole side of the trailer with boat and slip the stands underneath for security.
Only extra's you will need are a piece of thick plywood to support the jack on soft ground and to allow it to roll slightly as the boat goes up and similar pieces for under the jack stands.

All that fits easily in the tool box of my truck.

This confirms the standard lesson of my life that real jobs need real tools.

Must admit I am also tempted to try Bill's solution as it can be a PITA to position the jack and stands etc.

Merv
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had one on a tandem boat trailer, did have a couple on tandem axle 5th wheels so I can wade in. DaNag's idea works for me. I carry two cheap "Harbor Freight" bottle jacks and always keep leveling boards handy because it's really easy to pull forward and get the good tire up high enough for the bottle jack to fit under the frame AND a board set underneath it for stability.

Camping World has some razzle dazzle device that lifts the axle up as you pull forward but I prefer going with what I trust. Some axles (Dexter) have warnings not to put the jack under the axle itself but on the frame. I don't know if the boat trailers have the same caution but it's a point to discuss.

Don
bongo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, now we got the burnerns on. One thing is working in your confortable garage and another is out on the road. Don answered my next question, of where to lift. The frame is easier but higer, the axel is lower but hard to get to.

What kind of chocks do you use? The MagicTilt manual calls for choking all wheels. Carrying a bunch of wood chocks around does not seem practical. Maybe some light welded tubing ones would be better.

Nasué
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lift the frame between the two wheels and provided the trailer is still attached to the truck and on relatively flat ground then the chocks are probably not necessary (but better be safe than sorry) but I do have a short section of 4x4 just in case.
Just remember to chock the wheels you are NOT lifting Embarrased
Merv
teflonmom

City/Region: Red Lion
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Snickers AUG 08
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Changing tires Reply with quote

A small assortment of two by fours about 6 to 8 inches long plus several peices of two by six will allow you to block the bottle jack to the frame. Use the larger 2X6 as a pad under the jack. I carry a pair of 6" 4X4s for wheel blocks.
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Fred, I always use wood between any jack and the metal surface of the frame or axle, minimizes slipping and prevents damage to the paint or galvanization. You may have to hunt around a bit, but even a good-sized log or even your spare tire from your tow vehicle can be used to temporarily hold up the frame or axle during stages of getting the wheel off the ground.
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
bongo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, well... keep this up and we can write a book on boat trailer tire changing. Come to think about it... writting a book with all the information on C-Brats would be a world class piece of boating knowledge. Is the information reserved or up for grabs? Wink

Anyhow, never knew I was going into the wood business when I bought a glass boat. Got the wood, need a saw. Also, glad I started on the ground floor, just wait till I get the thing on the water. I saw that incredible video of Wanderer to Alaska and passed it around to friends, who have never been on the water, and they think it's an Oscar winner or something, viewing it over and over.

The nice thing about that trip is you have pits stops with gas, water and such. Down here you go out on the Pearl Archipelago (over 200 islands almost devoid of people) and you are on your own until your reentry to the atmosphere; that is, the Panama Canal area. As soon as I can, will send pics.

Merry christmas to all you folk up in freezer land. Must be pretty cold up there, for a couple of weeks ago we got a real rare cold front all the way down here that dropped temperatures to an incredible 71° F CoolSmile

JohnB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: