View previous topic :: View next topic  
captd

City/Region: Chain of Lakes
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kon Tiki
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Ique 4 Garmin Reply with quote

C-Brats,
I thought maybe this would be of interest to some. I have used the Ipac (compaq)with a navman sleeve for years along with maptech raster charts. SoI had about 5 cd's for cruising Alaska, Mexico, both sides of Florida and the Bahamas.
This summer I got the Terrain Navigator for the state of Montana. Lo and behold my old Ipac would not work with this new soft ware. So I ordered the M 4 Garmin. After a couple weeks of trying I called Garmin and asked what I was doing wrong. They said " Garmin will not work with raster charts or with Maptechs soft ware." I was about to send that $700 doorstop back to them and thought maybe to call Maptech 1st. They said it will work fine and guided me through it. I turns out it is really great. It gives you live positioning on land or sea. You can put both sides of Florida ( East and West ) and the Bahamas all on one SD 2 gigabyte chip. On another chip all of north western Montana. The Ique 4 has built in gps with waas. Maptech was the best. They upgraded my Pocket Navigator and my offshore Nav software for nothing by sending new cd's.
I can't think of a better system for small boats. Right after buying the Ique M 4 they discontinued making it. same as the ique M 5. If you find one someplace and want the best, buy it.
Captd

2007 25 R Ranger (Mis Dee) sold 2008
2009 25 R Ranger (Lucky Fin) sold
1994 22 ft C-Dory ( Kon Tiki )
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: iQue 3600 too ... maybe? Reply with quote

Darrell,

Do you know if the same MapTech charts might charts would work on Garmin's iQue 3600 (GPS/PDA)?

I don't have it any more (got stolen with the truck a few months ago...) but I have friends in Florida that use an iQue 3600 on their boat, but I suspect they've only tried the Garmin chart data. Would be nice if they could "branch out" a little.

Thanks,
Casey
C-Dory Naknek
captd

City/Region: Chain of Lakes
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kon Tiki
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Casey,
How are you guys doing? Where are you at? It has been quite cold down there. We will be leaving here in about two weeks. Heading for Florida. We are going to take the C-Dory. Maybe if Dee would go along with the idea of going to the Bahamas around April. I would like to go with other Brats.
Yes , from what I understand the 3600 Ique Garmin will work with Maptech, but Garmin would say ....No. The new version of the Pocket Navigator and offshore Navigator by Maptech along with the newest version of activesync make it a piece of cake. I'm like the guy on the tv commercial that would be lost without his blackberry ( or what ever it is ). It use to be, the only time I had any use for my old Ipac (compaq) was in the winter, but with the new M4 I use it with topos here around home, on the highways heading across country and finally on the water all winter long. Plus it gives you a detailed map of all the cities in us, canada,and Alaska and on top of that gives you gas stations, restaurants and other businessess, It is kind of spendy, but I already had an investment in the cds, Terrain Nav software had a total of about 10 cds for Montana Plus I already had all the old ocean charts. The new upgrade from Maptech offshore gives me all the tide and current graphs and speeds for all my ocean charts in updates in real time for up to the end of 2007.
I am tickled pink over the whole deal'
Take care
Darrel
Ps. The Whaler makes a wonderful fishing boat. I got the Manana rigged with two down riggers . My biggest problem, is which boat to go Xmas Tongue with. Xmas Tongue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: