View previous topic :: View next topic  
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Rough Sea Power Boat Handling Reply with quote

Well, I'm still learning how to handle a power boat, and, by the way, I have the evidence to prove it. I just read a book: Power Boats In Rough Seas, by Dag Pike. I recommend it from your local library. It explains some concepts to me:
Why the C-Dory is reasonable in rough seas: it's got a full bow.
What to do in clapotic waves: take penicillin (sorry, couldn't resist.)
A power boat pivots around the bow, which is different from a sail boat.
How to go up steep waves, which I hope I never have to do.

Anyway it's interesting to read, and certainly taught me some differences between sail and power. It should answer questions that are being asked by prospective C-Dory owners.

Boris
C-Pelican

City/Region: SoCal
C-Dory Year: 1992
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C Pelican
Photos: C-Pelican
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Boris for sharing. I will look for that book as I too am a new power boat owner who also has the 'scars' to show for it, but all done with a smile still! (well, at least afterwards, maybe not at the moment)
Jeff
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been on a sail boat but have been around smaller power boats my whole life. How does a sail boat handle differant then a power boat? I have been in some really big and steep waves here in the sound and onlyhad to turn back twice. I never felt in danger, just was not getting anywhere and would have been unable to fish if I did get there. Both times I was caught by large swells pushing against a tide. this makes for a really bad ride. I started using the canadian tide and current tables this summer and it is must have. I have been timing my runs to be with the tide and wind and not when they are against each other. It also shows were tide rips and fals will be but allows you to find ways around them. Durning parts of the tide around the San Juans you can have the out going tide headed west and just across the channel have the tide headed east. Half a hour later they will both be headed west. I wish they had one for the sound. Does anyone know of a similar product for the sound? I will check out the book you have. I can always learn some more.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Raymarine E Series with the satellite hookup is supposed to have built in tide and current tables which you access by putting the cursor over the area you want to know about and then a thermometer type thing pops up showing the current stage of the tide against it's high and low as well as arrows showing both the direction and speed of the currents.

I'm going to try it out tomorrow or Friday up there, but won't be on the internet for a couple weeks.

John
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

If'n you get up Decption Pass way please give Les at EQ a call -- just dock at the Deception Pass Marine and I'll bring a Latte or two, and we can talk C Dory boats and our local area. I've had the TC 24 but not the new one -- but have been C-Dorying since they started building them. EQ= 360 679 4783

Happy holidays Xmas LOL

Dusty

drjohn71a

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty, Thanks for the holler! I noticed that you guys are closed Sun and Mon, so I don't know if we'll get up that far on Sat, so may have to check in on the way back. I definitely want to stop at your place - have seen all the neat pnotos and with Bill and El and all having been there, it's kind of like a pilgrimmage.... C-Dory wise anyways...
thanks for the phone number

I just hope the heater works on the boat when I get up there tomorrow afternoon at Edmonds!

See ya! John
smittypaddler

City/Region: Neenah, Wisconsin
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Na Waqa
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest difference I've noticed power vs. sail is in maneuvering in close quarters and docking. The deep keel on a sailboat keeps it from being pushed around by the wind, where a power boat, especially the C-Dory 22 which only draws 13 inches, gets blown off course very easily and quickly. Also a sailboat is a lot stabler in heavy waves. But the nice thing about a power boat is, if you keep a sharp eye on the weather, you can usually duck into a safe harbor before a storm hits. I remember in vivid living color seeing a long black squall line headed for my sailboat, and there was no choice but to shorten sail, then simply wait and watch it come.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

The weather isn't looking too pretty at this time but I'm sure you will get some breaks in there somewhere and with the big TC you should not have many problems, just won't be as nice as we would wish for you.
Travel safely.

Merv & Kathy
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a sailboat will pivot around the center of resistance of it's keel while an outboard powerboat will pivot around the outboard engine leg. Other powerboats still pivot closer to the stern than most sailcraft.

Sailboats, just like powerboats, come in hard chined, planing hull types, semi-displacement and full displacement and every thing in between. As such, their behavior in rough water reflects that hull design. A hard chined, surfing sailboat behaves alot like a CD hull.

John
journey on

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, close quarter maneuvering and docking is how I got those scars. The sailboat follows its rudder and turns in the middle. The outboard power boat doesn't have a rudder and turns around the bow.

I'm learning, but it's sometimes embarrassing.

Boris
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merve and Kathy - I'd be boating in sleet and snow down here most Decembers, so a few showers and fog sounds just fine to me. Your long term temp. forecast just raised the expected lows, so I am very happy!
Mainly happy about having a nice, cozy C-Dory pilothouse cabin for the trip.
John
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Am hittin' the road now, for Seattle and Edmonds marina! Good bye internet... John
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of the chart "chips" will have tides and currents--no internet hook up required. The navionics charts which Ray marine uses should have the tides and currents (depending on which chip you have (silver, Gold or Platinum)--I believe that both gold and Platinum have the tides anc currents--not sure about the silver).

Different outboard boats handle differently--there is no one generalization.

It depends on windage, amount of keel, current, and multiple other factors. Same with sailboats. The generalization above; that sailboats pivot on the keel is a good one--but some sailboats (even large ones) have centerboards, and if up, are not a pivot point. I find sailboats easier to manuver in many situations--but I have had a lot more experience on sailboats than power boats--even though I have owned both for over 60 years.

I think that any book which gives instructions needs to be read and then the various techniques tried out--preferably in a calm bay, with a couple of fenders with weights on them, or two fenders tied together to a boat hook etc--to give a forgiving "platform" to practice the maneuver to.

Boat handling is like riding bicylces and skiing and a lot of it is reflex. If you have a lot of experience, you can get on almost any boat and know within a few minutes how that boat will behave. On the other hand if you have little experience, it will take a lot of experimentation for each new boat--untill you learn the reflexes. The reason I emphasize reflexes, is that things can happen very fast in a boat--and you need to be able to make the corrective maneuver using steering, power and shifter with out thinking the situation out--again--another reason for the practice on the calm day--and then notch it up with increasing weather.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL

Last edited by thataway on Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
journey on

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob said it very well, and I guess that was the point of the post: reading a book is only a starter. Afterwards you have to go out and practice, until it becomes a reflex.

Maneuvering in close quarters is easy to practice with a buoy, float, etc. Learning how to climb steep waves is something else. Maybe small ones, and hope you never need to go further.

Thanks, Bob, for making that point. I hope that all the new CD owners get out and practice.

Boris
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How to go up steep waves, which I hope I never have to do.

Boris, can you give us a hint on this one for our CD-25's, or doesn't the hull shape/length matter that much?

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: