View previous topic :: View next topic  
jstates

City/Region: SHELTON
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Endurance
Photos: Endurance
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Which DC AC converter for notebook computer Reply with quote

What experience do folks have with the DC to AC converters that plug into cigarette lighter outlet to run notebook computer or other AC devices. I have had 2 in my car and they stopped working in one year even though I was using them within the specifications.

I would prefer to run the adapter above rather than a Dell specific DC adapter that has to be replaced when I upgrade notebook computers.

Does anyone have a good DC to AC that has been durable. Any tips on running them motors on/off etc.? Is there any big difference in drain on the batteries with either system?

Thanks

Jim
Notayot

C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Notayot (sold 2/2018)
Photos: Notayot
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Coleman 200 watt inverter. It does have a cooling fan to assist in the dissapation of heat, but a laptop is only about 40-45 watts. Seems to work just fine, but I have only used it for one year.

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to use a DC-AC inverter without problems but now switched to a DC-DC up converter with different tips for various laptops. I also use it on my LCD TV in place of the wall wart so it works on the boat and in our RV more efficiently. (read less battery usage)

One common mistake folks make is leaving the AC inverter plugged in and energized when starting their car. It'll kill a cheap inverter pretty quickly.

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
Salty Dog

City/Region: Traverse City
State or Province: MI
Photos: Salty Dog
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an iGo system. http://www.igo.com/

You buy different tips for different applications, so if you go from a Dell laptop to a different brand laptop, you just get a different tip. It's worked much better for me than a power inverter has.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Salty Dog, I also use Igo for the notebook computer. Not only does it power laptops, but you can get adaptors for cell phones, PDA's etc. which can be charged at the same time as the laptop. There is also an airplane adaptor and 110 V power adaptor which comes with the unit. That way I only take one "brick". I think that is a better source of power. I do run the electroncis (including chargers and computers) off a house battery bank--not the engine starting bank--to avoid voltage drops and spikes.

I have used a 300 watt inverter for over 10 years to charge AA batteries etc. It was not expensive--and has worked very well with the simple chargers. I run this only when the engine is running.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jstates

City/Region: SHELTON
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Endurance
Photos: Endurance
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Adapters Reply with quote

Months ago I looked at the Igo for Dell but the adapter from IGO that would fit the dell had a warning it would run computer but not charge, Would have to buy Dells version of the igo adapter to charge my Dell 505.

I like the idea however and will check it out again

Thanks for the input

Jim
Salty Dog

City/Region: Traverse City
State or Province: MI
Photos: Salty Dog
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
I had read the same thing on the iGo as I have a Dell computer. I did a test in my truck one day and ran the battery down until it was almost dead (I think the battery had about 8% left according to the computer), then plugged the iGo into the cigarette lighter and the computer. It not only kept the computer running, but it also started to recharge the battery. So, maybe it's a myth, maybe not, but thus far, my iGo has recharged the battery on my Dell laptop. My laptop is an Inspiron 8100 I believe.

Incidentally, watch www.woot.com periodically for one. I picked up mine for $35 I think and it came with 6 different adapters (including one for the Dell laptop). Great price on that unit.

Jack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: