View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Clearing Customs Reply with quote

Found this on the Boat US forum--

saw this in todays Miami herald, welcome change for those going to the bahamas and maybe canada...

-----

Recreational U.S. boaters returning home from foreign ports may no longer have to go to an immigration and customs office for a reentry interview.

On Friday, U.S. Customs and Border Protection launched a program that gives boaters the option of registering in advance with the agency, thus eliminating -- in most cases -- the requirement to visit a passport control office after every visit to a foreign port.

It removes one step from the current process: Boaters have to call an 800 number to announce their arrival, then they have 24 hours to report in person to a passport control officer for a face-to-face interview. The only places to go for those interviews in Miami-Dade and Broward counties are the Port of Miami-Dade and Port Everglades.

''The problem is, that process can be a real pain in the neck for people who dock far away from the ports and then have to get in the car and drive for the interviews,'' said Jennifer Connors, a Customs and Border Protection spokeswoman.

With the new process, boaters can complete a one-time registration with their local U.S. Customs and Border Protection office. They must present proof of citizenship or legal permanent residence and submit identifying details about their vessels.

Boaters are given a personal registration number when they sign up for the Local Boater Option program.

After registering, boaters arriving from foreign ports will still have to call an 800 number to connect with passport control officers. The boaters will give their registration numbers over the phone and, in most cases, they will not have to report in person after arriving back in the United States.

''We can still require that boaters come in for an interview, but for most of our honest boaters who we've been seeing all these years, it'll be a relief not to have to go through that process,'' Connors said.

Every person aboard an incoming boat must have a registration number in order to bypass the interview process after docking, Connors said.

Part of the reason the agency decided to start the new program was because U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials did not want boaters to stop reporting in after foreign trips or visits with other vessels, as they are required to do, Connors said.

''We didn't want people to stop calling us at all just because part of the process was an inconvenience,'' Connors said. ``That wouldn't be helping to secure our borders at all. We need to know the comings and goings on our shores.''

To enroll in the Customs and Border Protection's Local Boater Option, set up an appointment by calling 800-432-1216 or 800-451-0393.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, How does this help secure the boarder. If you are inconvenience and dont go then you should be arrested. I go thru the trouble of checking in and out every time and never cross the border even for a second with out checking in later. So Now they will let you check in by phone not to "inconvenience" you. I can see that now "everyone be quite I have call immigration, fidel I said shut up and stop smoking that thing"
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds somewhat like the old system where they issued you a PIN number and you could go to a phone on a customs dock and call in. They had your info on the computer and asked the stock questions and you were done. Same thing on each end. I liked that system but heard that was going away. It will take a lot more than this to tighten up the border. It is pretty tight by land but wide open by sea.
Salmon Slayer

City/Region: Juneau, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1981
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Holly May
Photos: Holly May
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everyone lives in an urban area with an immigration office close by and for those of us who live on a border this makes a lot more sense.

I fail to see how reporting in person (with no one physically checking you boat) is any more secure than calling in the registration numbers of everyone in your boat; in neither case are you likely to self disclose your nefarious activities.

Human intelligence is still the primary means of gathering information on both terrorism and criminal activities and just being able to talk to people on what they were doing, what they saw, and guaging use patterns is an effective means of gathering this intelligence. Allowing people to call in will likely increase this intelligence gathering ability and border security.

I hate to disagree but if you want to look at what is not effective, go to an airport and observe TSA for about 30 seconds or go to a commercial shipping port and observe the total lack of security in that industry.

Just my tuppence.

Andy

Where did all those years go?
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The skinny from the Coasties here in San Diego: It's a test program in the Miami Dade area of FL.

I guess you folks up in WA will still have to stop and show proof you're not smuggling in illegal aliens or crab lice from Canada.

(If this last statement offends the few who are offended at anything said anywhere about any class of humans at any time, just pretend you didn't read it.)

And that goes for Sea Ray and Dodge Diesel owners as well.

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
Salmon Slayer

City/Region: Juneau, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1981
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Holly May
Photos: Holly May
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is apparently not restricted to FLA

U.S. CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION ANNOUNCES ADDITIONAL SECURITY ENHANCEMENTS FOR PLEASURE BOATERS

SEATTLE - U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has implemented enhanced security procedures for small boats arriving in the United States from Canada. The new private boat clearance procedures are part of CBP's comprehensive efforts to enhance security at our nation's borders.

Private boaters will be required to report to specified ports of entry for inspection if they are not currently enrolled in a "trusted traveler" program. Only boaters participating in the I-68 or NEXUS/SENTRI programs will be allowed to report their arrivals by phone. Personal Identification Numbers (PINs) issued under the old Small Boat Reporting System are no longer valid. Participation in the trusted traveler programs requires the payment of a fee and passing a background check by CBP and Canadian authorities. Participation in the I-68 program requires each applicant to appear in person for an interview at a Customs and Border Protection port of entry. Fees are $16 (US) for an individual or $32 (US) for a family. U.S. citizens, Lawful Permanent Residents, Canadian citizens and Landed Immigrants of Canada who are nationals of Visa Waiver Program countries are eligible to apply for I-68 seasonal boating permits. Private boaters are encouraged to apply BEFORE attempting their first trip to expedite the border clearance process.

"These new procedures allow CBP the ability to carry out our twin goals of preventing terrorists and terrorist weapons from entering the United States, while at the same time facilitating legitimate travel and trade," said Thomas Hardy, Director of CBP's Seattle Field Office. "Those boaters enrolled in our expedited travel programs will reap the benefits of our call-in inspection process." The Pacific Northwest is one of the busiest international boating areas in the United States. These new procedures are designed to augment a myriad of security enhancements implemented by CBP at our borders since the terrorist attacks on America on 9/11/01. Details of the new private boating international clearance procedures are outlined in the attached FACT SHEET. Boaters are encouraged to contact their nearest CBP office with questions regarding these new enhanced security procedures for boaters. Please refer to www.CBP.gov for the listing of the nearest CBP office. For information on the NEXUS program, please refer to www.nexus.gc.ca.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all...we have our I-68s, which let us check in by cell phone on re-entry to US waters. We will probably get Nexus this next year. I-68s are good for one year, Nexus is good for 5 years. We just lie about the illegal aliens and crab lice...(NOTE TO CBP - just kidding of course about the aliens, not so sure about the crab lice...)

Sneaks wrote:

I guess you folks up in WA will still have to stop and show proof you're not smuggling in illegal aliens or crab lice from Canada.

Don

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, The Nexus program is pretty slick and will get better in a month or so when it is operational both directions. One hint though, to use it next season, start the process NOW. As with most government programs, the wheels turn reeeel slow.

In this program, the onus is on you to comply with all border regulations as opposed to answering just the questions asked by a border official. As you examine the regs, you'll see there is a real difference there. Any deviation found is grounds for cancelling your Nexus Pass and possible prosecution.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: