The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Can I park here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If thats the only spot to put her you have to do it . Consider a chain to the trailer in the unlikely event that she goes slip sliding away. Your insurance company may thank you later. Laughing What kind of angle are we looking at here?

Chris Bulovsky
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel- Are you sure your name is Joel and not Solomon!? I have spoken with my son about this today while he was doing all kinds of maintenance on my boat on his day off. I was standing outside the boat telling him about my posting on this issue. He was in the boat, stopped what he was doing and looked me in the eye and said the following "It would really upset me if you ever parked the boat there." I have gotten lots of good advise and some real belly laughs from your responses. But, I have decided that next Spring I will plant scallions, and tomatoes in that sunny side-patch. As for whether or not it would hold the boat, best I never know. .

"...we're all in the same boat..."
CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dotnmarty wrote:
Joel- Are you sure your name is Joel and not Solomon!? I have spoken with my son about this today while he was doing all kinds of maintenance on my boat on his day off. I was standing outside the boat telling him about my posting on this issue. He was in the boat, stopped what he was doing and looked me in the eye and said the following "It would really upset me if you ever parked the boat there." I have gotten lots of good advise and some real belly laughs from your responses. But, I have decided that next Spring I will plant scallions, and tomatoes in that sunny side-patch. As for whether or not it would hold the boat, best I never know. .

Smart man!
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, I have decided that next Spring I will plant scallions, and tomatoes in that sunny side-patch. As for whether or not it would hold the boat, best I never know. .[/quote]

Sounds biblical..........Very profound. Kinda wise too. Wink Laughing

Chris Bulovsky
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty – my two cents based on experience in building roads and looking at photo and topographical maps of your area.

If the fill is three years old and it was what is commonly known as fill dirt (not clay that liquefies when saturated or sand) it should have had time to set up by now.

You being from back east might call a slope a hill side. The land in your area has a 6 to 8% slope to the east and south. Your immediate area has a 7 foot drop in 100 feet. The small hill to the south and west of you has only a 50 feet rise above the swamps at its base. The steepest part of it is only a 35% slope. That could be considered a hill side. When I was logging we considered that the steepest we could use wheel skidders to log on without turning over when we got sideways on it.

Back to your fill area. You can do a simple test to see if it has set up and now is the perfect time. Get a piece of round stock (Steel) about ¼ inch in diameter and four feet long. (Do not sharpen it) Go out in your fill and try pushing the rod into the ground in many different places. If you push at a slight angle it is easier to push it in.

If it goes in easy everywhere, you don’t want to park there. If it starts easy but gradually gets harder as you go down and it stops within 24 inches of the surface you will be OK. If it goes farther but very hard and hard to pull out, it should be OK.

One other thing you can do is get two 2x12 pressure treated boards by however long you need them and dig them in level with the ground for runners. They will spread the load out enough you could just about get away with parking in a swamp.

I believe the photo below shows your house and the blue arrow points it the direction of the ground slope from your garage.

________
Dave

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
dotnmarty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave-You are wonderful and amazing too. And so close! My house is just out of the picture, at the foot of your blue arrow."north" of the house you are pointing to. The house that the blue arrow points to is just below me, where the boat and trailer would fall, if it did fall.Thats my white Volvo big rig tow wagon in the picture. I would certainly appreciate it if you could show a picture of my house. Thank you for everything.

PS- I just read the last line of your post again.You did have it right on the first time. I should have known that. I know you are, among other things, a logger and a photographer. . I guess it's too much to ask that you virtually take down the trees so I can see the house!
PPS-I sure am glad you're on our side!
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty – can’t cut them from this far away but how about a shot from a different angle or two. The reason I used the first aerial was because it showed the area we were talking about. I believe your trailer for the 22 in it.

________
Dave

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
dotnmarty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave- I would ask you how you do that but I am afraid of what might happen if you told me. What ever is involved my security clearance probably can't handle it. As long as your here, come on over. Thanks.

Last edited by dotnmarty on Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know...that little roundy-round thing in the street across from you looks pretty inviting. Seems like it's just about the right size for a 16.

Just go grab a Costo portable garage, and set it up over there. Paint a nice tree mural on the sides, and set it up at night - maybe your neighbors won't notice.

Xmas Naughty

dotnmarty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my God...ha, ha , ha ! You might as well come on in too, I've got water boiling for some real Jersey instant coffee! Yagottalovedisplace.

PS- anybody good at painting murals? Just thought I'd ask.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: