View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chubby Bunny

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Jenny G
Photos: Jenny G
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: The C-Dory handles well in rough water Reply with quote

Since the ride of the C-Dory hull gets mentioned from time to time on these forums, I wanted to comment on it to the many prospective buyers who patrol this site to learn about the boats.

First, there's calm water. Any boat does well here and the C-Dory is no exception. Initially, I wished for a higher cruising speed, but after 3+ months of ownership, I really don't miss the 25-30 kt. cruise speeds of a deep vee. In fact, in the glass-smooth water from Shilshole to Sequim Bay for the C-Brats gathering, we averaged about 19 kts. and got there too fast for our tastes because we didn't see enough along the way!!!

Second, there's chop, be it 1 ft. wind waves, small boat wakes, etc. This is the C-Dory's only weakness, though bringing your speed down temporarily solves this problem. Any boat's wake can be jarring, so I'm not being too apologetic about the C-Dory.

In both smooth water and moderate chop, trim tabs are a huge benefit. I installed them after about 6 weeks and have now run with them for 2 months and the difference is significant (plus cruise speed is up about 2 kts. across the power band of our engine).

Third is rough water. Our Puget Sound rough water experience now includes three crossings in 25 kt winds gusting to 30 kts with 2 small craft advisories, 1 gale warning, and up to 3-5 ft wind waves. At six knots, the C-Dory just bobs on top of the waves and isn't unsettling or scary in any way. I assure you that we've been the dinkiest little boat at the Poulsbo marina recently, yet the yacht owners never wonder -- and it fact sometimes compliment us on -- why we'd bring our little boat out in a Pacific Northwest storm.

It's the rough water handling that inspired me to comment, since our C-Dory gets us out on weekends where the other boats that venture out are in the 35-40 ft range and hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Happy boating!

Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree. I've had the 22 and now own the 25. On our 30 day R/T to Ketchikan and back we were in all kinds of water and I never felt unsafe or worried. There were several times that there were other places I would have rather been, but since I was in rough water I was extremely glad to be in a C-Dory.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
State or Province: VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, et all;
I whole heartily agree as to the safety factor built into the CD hull. There are some pixs of our trip to and from Lankford, MD, out of VA. Beach that do some justice to the WX we ran into. There was never a time when I did not feel uncomfortable; well, except when we spotted 2 water spouts coming our way as we (Alma's Only & Sea Angel) were thinking of departing a matina to cross the lower Ches. Bay. [ I'm looking forward to doing the run again.]

While running in 4'-6'+ seas there were a couple of events that caused me to head into the 'stuff'. Even with green water over the bow, there was never a concern. If I lost one of the OB's power, I may have gotten a little worried. I just tried to keep out of the crab pots.

One thing that I did do when I returned to my marina was to buy some replacement wiper arms with stronger springs. I also learned where I was lacking in securing my 'stuff', though nothing was bruised, lost or broken.

I just can't say enough good about the way my CD25 handles in the varity of actions that the Ches. Bay can throw at us in a moments notice. While the Grady Whites are pounding and heading home, I just slide along in comfort; especially in the fall's cold air while I run with the Wallas heater on.

CBRAT #208
2005 CD25 #075 SEA ANGEL (SOLD)
USCGAUX (RET), USN(RET)
Broadcast TV ENG(RET)
ka1rx@verizon.net
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The C-Dory handles well in rough water Reply with quote

William, two thought here. I used to see this as a weakness, I don't anymore. On the CD22, we used to pound like crazy because we were always trying to go too fast. Once we learned to use the trim tabs to get the nose down and slow down to 10 -12 knots - the 1 ft chop was no longer a problem. On the CD25 (shameless plug) it is not a problem to start with. The CD25 handles these conditions immensely better than the CD22. I know I will have to duck for saying this, but it is true!

Chubby Bunny wrote:

Second, there's chop, be it 1 ft. wind waves, small boat wakes, etc. This is the C-Dory's only weakness, though bringing your speed down temporarily solves this problem. Any boat's wake can be jarring, so I'm not being too apologetic about the C-Dory.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I have learned in my short time of boating, keep the bow down in the chop/rough water and the ride will be much nicer. In this photo with these conditions, I was averaging 15 to 16 knots. The boat and I both enjoyed it.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Chubby Bunny

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Jenny G
Photos: Jenny G
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, I agree with you wholeheartedly on the tabs. I was a little nervous about how spendy they are but have really enjoyed them, initially for the speed increase in smooth water but now also for the increased comfort in the moderate stuff. I would say that anybody getting a new 22' should just get the factory tabs and enjoy them.

Also would expect that your 25 would handle better. If I've got my facts straight, your hull weighs about 1600#'s more, your full fuel (100 vs. my 36) weighs about 500# more, and bigger engine + gear is probably good for another 500# more, so that's an extra ton-and-a-quarter pushing through the water on a bigger footprint.

Oh, and my shameless plug for your 25 would be that I can't wait until we're at another C-Brats gathering when you've got your boat so that Jenny and I can get a tour....especially of Patti's pull-out shelving in the galley.
james

City/Region: CRYSTAL RIVER
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: COOL CHANGE
Photos: COOL CHANGE
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could not agree more, I went with Bob's hydroplate. I love it. I can dig the bow right in when I need to or lift it up when the waves allow.

Quote:
One thing I have learned in my short time of boating, keep the bow down in the chop/rough water and the ride will be much nicer.

James

flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trim tabs work well for me. One note of caution that might not be evident to people new to trim tabs is that you shouldn't use them in following seas. Maybe someone with more experience can elaborate. I've had two instances where it felt like I was going to broach and had to come off throttle in a hurry. I'm attributing this to having the tabs down in the wrong conditions but I'm not sure.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flapbreaker-

You're absolutely right!

Having your trim tabs down in a folliwing sea is very dangerous.

The waves from behind strike the back of the boat first and try to lift it up while the middle and front of the boat are still down the slope towards the trough in front. The result is a boat tilted forward and being forced down a steep slope into the wave trough, trying to accelerate forward to reach level stability.

If the wave is so big that the slope is super steep, a boat will be pitchpoled end for end, stern over the bow.

If there's a less radical slope, the boat will struggle to surf forward down into the trough, perhaps taking water over the stern in the process.

Alternately, if the stern of the boat is not square to the wave front and the forces manage to turn the boat diagonally or slightly sideways, the lifting motion will lift one side of the stern more than the other, and the boat, if unable to surge forward to relieve the pressure, will roll over and broach on one side.

Hopefully, a broached boat it will recover to the upright position once the force of the wave has past. However, if the boat is an open boat, or one with a large cockpit, enough water may enter to compromise the overall bouyancy, and it may not safely recover upright, being left awash in the turbulent sea.

The problem with the trim tabs, especially if they're in the down position, is that they add surface area and lever length to the back of the boat where the lifting begins. This is also true of hydrofoils mounted on the motor's anti-ventilation plate.

Tabs up in a following sea!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never used trim tabs before my CD22. I thought the tabs were just for trimming out the weight distribution to level the boat side to side.

This weekend cruising on mirror flat water I found that with the tabs fully down the bow would come down and the speed increased about 0.5knts. It does not seem to make that much difference where the motor trim is unless you trim the bow way up. I also have the permatrim.

I am not sure the permatrim does a lot for the boat. I do know that it has reduced the top end by several knts.

It sounds like that in rough water I should trim the tabs fully down unles running before waves. Does anyone bother to trim for side to side level?

Steve
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone bother to trim for side to side level?

Steve[/quote]

Steve,

Yes, especially when on a day trip with 3 or more aboard. The table will be down and used as a couch for up to as many as 4.

Use the trip tabs all the time for leveling and chop. Major difference in chop. From a rough banging ride to a smooth enjoyable one.

Gain .5 mph or a little more with trip tabs verses trimming moter only.

We believe its the most effective ( bang for the buck) add on thats been done to our boat.

Jay

mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seabran wrote:

Steve

I like a level boat, and I don't like asking passengers to sit in a
particular spot, so I use the tabs all the time. Still new to the
boat, so haven't figured out how it runs in rough water, etc. Did
really nice in some very odd chop between the mouth of the C&D
canal and Delaware Bay. The wind, tide and current made for
very odd seas. Little 3' mountains of water moving in all different
directions! Was nice to slide the window shut and stay nice and
dry. Confusion only lasted for 1/4 mile or so.

Mike
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seabran wrote:
I have never used trim tabs before my CD22. I thought the tabs were just for trimming out the weight distribution to level the boat side to side.

This weekend cruising on mirror flat water I found that with the tabs fully down the bow would come down and the speed increased about 0.5knts. It does not seem to make that much difference where the motor trim is unless you trim the bow way up. I also have the permatrim.

I am not sure the permatrim does a lot for the boat. I do know that it has reduced the top end by several knts.

It sounds like that in rough water I should trim the tabs fully down unles running before waves. Does anyone bother to trim for side to side level?

Steve

I have the permatrim thing on the main as well. I find that I trim the motor down a quarter of the way on the guage. Then use the tabs to push the nose down a bit. I don't think I run the tabs fully down this way. I'd say I gain at least 1 knot in glass to small chop with this method.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeporterinmd wrote:
seabran wrote:

Steve

I like a level boat, and I don't like asking passengers to sit in a
particular spot, so I use the tabs all the time. Still new to the
boat, so haven't figured out how it runs in rough water, etc. Did
really nice in some very odd chop between the mouth of the C&D
canal and Delaware Bay. The wind, tide and current made for
very odd seas. Little 3' mountains of water moving in all different
directions! Was nice to slide the window shut and stay nice and
dry. Confusion only lasted for 1/4 mile or so.

Mike

Mike-

Two points!

1. If you had been a dinghy sailboat racer, you not only wouldn't mind asking or telling others where to sit, etc, but you'd give 'em hell if they didn't move and level the boat pronto! (This is not a criticism of you, just a point made to illustrate how important it is to keep the boat flat to maximize speed and ease handling.)

2. I think you experienced a tidal rip in the second half of your post above. Sometimes it looks like the waves are putting on a dancing show, making funny peaks that seem to pop up and down in difference to the wind! You'll find rips most commonly where currents meet because of the curvature of land and underwater forms that force the currents to meet and interact.

Fun talking to you!

Joe.

TIDAL RIP:

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:

Mike-

Two points!

1. If you had been a dinghy sailboat racer, you not only wouldn't mind asking or telling others where to sit, etc, but you'd give 'em hell if they didn't move and level the boat pronto! (This is not a criticism of you, just a point made to illustrate how important it is to keep the boat flat to maximize speed and ease handling.)

2. I think you esperienced a tidal rip in the second half of your post above. Sometimes it looks like the waves are putting on a dancing show, making funny peaks that seem to pop up and down in difference to the wind! You'll find rips most commonly where currents meet because of the curvature of land and underwater forms that force the currents to meet and interact.

Fun talking to you!

Joe.

Racing: you bet I'd ask them to move! Yup, a tidal rip. The water
can really flow through the C&D, and the Delaware can move some
water in the channel. Plus, there was a decent wind that day. In
the canal, you are usually sheltered from it, but once we entered the
Delaware, we could feel it.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: