The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Water in TomCat 255 gas tanks
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alok

City/Region: League City
State or Province: TX
Photos: Top Cat
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick follow-up on the failed macerator (see my post above). I found that the 20 amp in-line fuse had blown.

I wonder why it blew. I went ahead and loosened the screw on the macerator just in case it had a frozen axle, though there was no evidence that this had happened.

Any other thoughts, anyone?

Brock

City/Region: Deltaville
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for considering this problem and offering your ideas. I still have a hard time believing this was caused by ethanol.

I have only purchased gas from the same 2 sources since receiving the boat in March- a local gas station and a reputable local marina. I had absolutely no issue with water in the gas all through the hot, humid VA summer, until the first time out after the Ernesto storm. After the second storm, a small amount of water appeared in the starboard tank while almost a gallon of water (now that I'm done getting it out) showed up in the port tank. I have always added gas from the same source to both tanks at the same time, usually about 10 gallons more in the port tank to help with the starboard list. I have never put more than a total of about 30-35 gallons in each tank.

If ethanol is absorbing water into my gas, why would just the port tank absorb so much water and the starboard absorb almost none around the time of the second storm? If 20 to 30 gallons of gas with ethanol can absorb a gallon of water, wouldn't thousands of boats just be dead in the water all over the country? Are they and I haven't heard?

A local boater recently told me that ethanol is not even available in this area yet, but I will double check the 2 sources of my fuel to see if he's correct. Haven't even bothered to notice when filling up my car.

Thataway: Is the clamshell type of vent you are talking about something that would fit over the existing vent or is it a completely different type of vent that would replace my existing vents?

Dr. John: I will look into the options for aft steering or some type of auto pilot set up. Thanks for the ideas.

Thanks again folks.

Brock

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had a chance to try the larger of the two Clam shells which West Marine carries in SS, but I believe it will fit, with a little bending and modification--I'll check--if not one can be made easily from sheet SS if necessary. I will most likely have one in place by the end of the week. (My back is still recovering from the thrash up the bay in the 25 knots of breeze over the last 14 miles comming back from Apalachicola.)

I agree that Ethanol is unlikely to cause this problem specificially--but we are all need to be aware of the potential problems with ethanol.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone interested in alternate fuels and insight into where the industry in general is going, ther is an intersting article on AOl today at this link
http://autos.aol.com/article/hybrid/hub/_a/alternative-fuel-choices/20061022214909990001
If you can't get to it then go to the blog page from which it came and you can read about everything up to ethanol 85 www.autobloggreen.com

While I was looking I found this interesting article on a hybrid engined boat that looks vaguely familiar, it is quoted as available with hybrid diesel -electric power

http://www.martiniboats.com/m/ranger21.html

Merv
Brock

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water is definitely entering through the gas tank vents. I have had them taped up through recent rains and no water appeared until... I went down to the boat yesterday and found that during a recent heavy rain, the tape had unraveled from the vent on the port tank. Took the boat out and the port engine immediately shut down. I've already removed a pint and I'm guessing the tank has taken on at least a half gallon or more of water.

C-Dory has offered to pay to have the vents relocated. Other TomCat owners might want to check where their vents are located. Below the gunnel gutter - not good.

Brock
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brock,
Sorry not to have reported back on the clam shells off the shelf from West Marine, were too small, (Depth) for the vent. I think you may find other ones which are larger, or make one out of SS sheeting. I didn't try building up the lip with starboard, but that should work also--I may try 1/4" making a rim, and screwing the clam shell on top of that. So far we have not had a problem--but got 2" of rain today, and I'll check.
Brock

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention also that I looked into the clamshell vents at West Marine and found the only sizes available to be either too small or too large. The larger size would stick out past the rub rail, the smaller size is just too small to fit over the vent.

I might try installing the other style of vent that has a little "hood" to shed water past the vent holes. I haven't seen it with an elbow fitting like the present vent, but it should work with some additional hardware.

Brock
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: