The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

WASHDOWN PUMP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmydj

City/Region: CORPUS CHRISTI
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: ISLAND DOLPHIN
Photos: TUXPAN
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: WASHDOWN PUMP Reply with quote

on my new tom cat the wahdown pump does not work

i can hear pump operating but no water flow.

toggle switch has ligt but does not come on.

galley and head water functions ok.

any ideas?
thanks
jim
Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: washdown Reply with quote

On my 25 there is a valve inside the cabin door under a step that must be opened to allow water to flow through from the thru hull. My wash down pump does not use water from the storage tank. Dr Bob, Thataway a Tomcat also stated in an earlier post that his wash down pump had a lose clamp and got salt water all over cloths he had stored in his locker. I would assume then that your's is also a thru hull and you just need to locate the valve.
Alasgun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: washdown pump Reply with quote

On our 25 ft'r the galley and head are two seperate systems. the head and wash down system are fed through the sea cock(Salt Water) requiring the boat be in the water to use either one. If your wash down system is using out of your fresh water supply, I think I would be sure water has made it's way to the pump. (ie check prime) Oh yea, I almost forgot, our wires were crossed at delivery and nothing would work until that was rectified. Sad Mike on Huda Thunkit
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look in the hanging locker on the aft port side. There is an inspection plate in the floor. Open this inspection plate, and you will see the handle for the thru hull valve. Be sure that this is open. The pump is self priming and should pick up a 4 foot prime easily. The other possibilities are some obstruction in the thru hull, or line--I have seen fish, jelly fish, mud, sea weed etc get into thru hulls thru strainers and clog intakes.
If the thru hull is OK and open (the handle in line with the hose), then check the wiring to be sure it is not reversed--the pump will only run one way.

You can take the hose off, but it is very stiff sanitary hose, and not easy to get free--it is double clamped at the thru hull properly--and should be double clamped in the other places if possiable.

If these things don't resolve the issues, give a shout.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jimmydj

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: washdown Reply with quote

thanks for all the help from all.

bob, i will check that plate for sure.

have had boat only a few weeks and have no factory manuals.

boat is on lift but i thought water was from onboard tank.
understood there was no through hull supply.

best regards
jim
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two types of washdowns: fresh water (out of your tank) and seawater (whatever the boat is sitting in). If you don't specify, the factory seems to assume you want a seawater washdown. Since your boat is on a lift, take a peak under... if you have a strainer, that answers your question (seawater).

For those of us who live by saltwater, if you want to wash down yourself to get the salt off, a seawater washdown is relatively useless. If you intend to wash fishguts out of the cockpit, then a seawater washdown doesn't drain off your fresh water tank. Both have their place, but the intended usage determines what you should have.

With a freshwater washdown, there won't be a valve (or a thru-hull). Hope this helps shed some light.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

thataway

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There would not be a separate pump for fresh water wash down, it would use the galley/head fresh water pump. To my knowlege there are only one or two TC 255's with more than one water tanks (I had requested a second tank--and the factory would not install it--said that they had only done than on an early boat because of the delays the owners had sustained. I do have the tank, and will have to take the furniture out and cut the floor to put the second tank in this winter.

Another very important function of the raw water pump is to wash mud off of the anchor and anchor chain/line.

The intake is on the inner side of the port hull, and there will be a strainer over the intake thru hull.

For fresh water rinses, we installed a fresh water hot and cold shower--this hose will reach most of the cockpit area, if we need to rinse off any salt etc. incidently you will get plenty of salt in the boat from spray, unless you have a full camper back.

The boat should come with complete documentation of systems. I have most of the manuals for the systems, but like most boats, there is no "boat manual" as you might find in a car--because the electronics and many other parts of the systems are different in each boat. We have a binder plus a multi section file which we keep onboard for the various manuals and instruction sheets.

If your boat was on the lift, I would suspect that you were not getting water because the thru hull was clear of the surface. You don't want to use any stagnet water for washing, for it will sour in the system. Use only clean sea or lake water for the washdown--or if you have to use the system in a poluted area, rinse it well with clean water as soon as possiable.
Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: thru hull valve Reply with quote

I also make sure to keep this valve closed except only when in use..
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with Jeff when the boat is in the water, but on a lift or on a trailer, I keep mine open, so any water in the intake will drain out. (hopefully).
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway... along those lines, do you think opening the thru hull when the boat is on a lift will prevent freeze damage? Should I run the pump a bit too?
John
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drjohn,
Yes, I keep our sea cock open and the water drains out. Running the pump should get most of the water out--and it would have much less chance of freeze damage. We don't have that cold weather, so I don't put in the "pink stuff" but I will drain the water tank, and blow out the lines if we get really cold weather for a couple of days.
jimmydj

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: WASHDOWN Reply with quote

on my new tom cat the wahdown pump does not work

i can hear pump operating but no water flow.

toggle switch has ligt but does not come on.

galley and head water functions ok.

above problem solved.
dropped her into water and bam- full water pressure.
thanks for all the help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: