The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Inside Storage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iggy

City/Region: Hillsboro, OR
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Edward Gallaher
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Inside Storage Reply with quote

Just curious (since I don't have a boat yet) -- Suppose one wanted to store a C-Dory inside? How wide, and how high would the door have to be for a CD-22? A CD-25? And how long would the enclosure need to be?

I realize this will differ with optional antennae, radar arches, etc., but can anyone provide concrete examples? For clarity, let's not worry about clearance, just the actual dimensions; trailer width, height from ground to highest point, and total length from motor to trailer tongue.

Thx,
iggy
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This boat garage is 12X12X23 and as you can see my 25 sticks out about 4 feet. I have the high radar arch on it. I can back it in fairly close to the port side and have about 2 feet to use as a walk way on the starboard side.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Falco

City/Region: Flagstaff
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Bucking Coho
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommed you look at a ClearSpan structure from Farmtek (http://www.farmtek.com.

Here a photo of mine. I am really pleased with this structure and keeping the boat dry makes a huge difference. (Note only the hitch sticks out which I cover with a spare piece of the building fabric.

Salty Dog

City/Region: Traverse City
State or Province: MI
Photos: Salty Dog
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iggy,
Here's what I've found size wise I need on my 22' Cruiser. Minimum height for door with boat on trailer would be 9'. This is assuming you have nothing on the roof above the boat. If you have radar or an arch, you'll have to add that height to it. That's on a roller trailer, so you might be a bit shorter on a bunk trailer. Width, minimum 10 feet. This gives you approximately 1 foot on either side to get it throug the door. Length you'll be looking at about 28' (assuming you want to fully have everything inside and be able to walk behind and in front of the boat). I have a Permatrim foil on mine, so that extends the motor a bit further on the back side than if you don't have one. I would suspect if you are looking at a 25' Cruiser you'll want to go to a 12 foot wide door (beam is 1' wider, which will only give you about 9 inches of clearance on either side with a 10 foot door, so a 12 foot door would be better). Length wise just add the extra 3 feet and height wise I believe they would be about the same. With that said, I have a 50x100 building with 12x14 overhead doors on it (have to get a 12'6" tall 5th wheel in there too). However, for just the boat, a 30x40 pole barn with a 10x10 (22' Cruiser) or 12x10 (25' Cruiser) doors on the end would be perfect for the boat.

Hope that helps.

Jack
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a photo of our RV Barn behind our home, It's 25' x 40', with the big door12' x 12', and the little one 9' x 10'. The CD-22 fits easily inside the big doors, and will also go inside the smaller one, but it's a tighter fit, and harder to back into from the street. I have to back down a side driveway 163' to the barn, with about 2' of clearance on each side. Fortunately, it gets easier all the time!
A dry structure like this w/o any sunshine and rain will cut down the aging on your hull immensely, as will a covered marina slip. Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
iggy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all, for the info!

Joe (and others), I agree fully. Although expensive, covered dry storage goes a long way in keeping a boat young and healthy. (I don't envy your 163' backwards trip -- I bet it's a lot quicker going out when you're loaded up and heading for the nearest fishing hole!)

For the storage shed of our dreams, check out the photo album to see the potluck dinner at the Cathlamet gathering, April 2006. It was moved from the picnic area at the marina and into Larry and Helen's (Helen O') shed due to the weather. I suspect Larry could get two Greyhound buses in, side-by-side, if necessary. And the double-wide driveway is only about 30 feet long!

iggy
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iggy-

You mean THIS "barn"? Joe.

iggy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that's the one! Or part of it, anyway. You have to look at the other pictures from a variety of angles to get the full impact.

I was in there somewhere -- I believe off to the left getting one of the BBQ cheddar dogs Amy and John 'Crazy' Frazey brought. Yum!

iggy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: