City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Look in the forums under outboards and systems. Find an old thread with lots of posts and read the posts from Les Lampman, Bob Austin and other learned folks. The single v twin discussion is well documented. There is no right answer, put what makes you smile back there. A single 40 will troll just great. A single 40 (one of the twins) will not plane the boat (a single 50 mounted in a single configuration amidships will plane a light 22). The Honda 40s are not EFI. The Honda 90 on the dealer boat is likely not EFI either as only the very newest (Honda) 90s have EFI.

Here is the previous thread 22 Motors

Regards, Mark

Last edited by Not For Hire on Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:36 pm; edited 4 times in total
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't understand why a 90hp would be less efficient than 2x40hp.

You were right to be skeptical, the single is more prop efficient. Twins lose some efficiency to cavitation between the two engines, and as someone mentioned, there's more undercarriage in the water with two engines on the back.

Dave Gallagher

City/Region: clayton
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flapbreaker

That is a great point. You know not having ever handled twins or any sizable power boat , I wouldn't have thought of it. But of course-why would I want to pilot all fishing day instead of hanging loose and looking around. One really has to sit there and attend the running twin-no way to set the throttle and pour a drink and stare off for a few?
It strikes me that you have made the best argument for the single /kicker combo, certainly if fishing is a main activity. And if the kicker was a 15 or so you could still get out of trouble pretty well.
Just when I thought twins were the answer ,you've got me thinking.
Dave

CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to add to your thought process. We have the 90 and a kicker -- kicker mounted on the starboard side...normally they put both batteries in the starboard lazarette...we listed for several months until we made a change and put the batteries in the port lazarette...some cabling issues that the dealer took care of quite nicely (the switches for the batteries remain in the starboard lazarette, so we store only lightweight items there)...and now we don't list -- I don't know if the configuration of a kicker on the port side is possible, but you might want to give that consideration in order to not have to move the batteries so's not to list Smile. We put a leather pad on the boat where the kicker comes up in the resting position against the stern...works out great so neither the boat nor the kicker get scuff marks. We like controlling the kicker from the helm, so we've attached a bar to the main motor...and a call out to the other person if we want the speed adjusted. This has been a good selection for us, because our main (only time we cruise is to get to fishing grounds usually...) use of the boat is for fishing.
Caty
PS...gone fishin tomorrow... Thumbs Up
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confuse the issue further: I met a fellow who owns another brand of cat about the same size as a TC-- not Glacier Bay, a boat that I understood is no longer being built -- and he runs twin 150s AND a kicker. Say's it's more efficient for trolling. Any thoughts on that?

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CatyMae n Steve wrote:
I'm going to add to your thought process. We have the 90 and a kicker -- kicker mounted on the starboard side...normally they put both batteries in the starboard lazarette...we listed for several months until we made a change and put the batteries in the port lazarette...some cabling issues that the dealer took care of quite nicely (the switches for the batteries remain in the starboard lazarette, so we store only lightweight items there)...and now we don't list -- I don't know if the configuration of a kicker on the port side is possible, but you might want to give that consideration in order to not have to move the batteries so's not to list Smile. We put a leather pad on the boat where the kicker comes up in the resting position against the stern...works out great so neither the boat nor the kicker get scuff marks. We like controlling the kicker from the helm, so we've attached a bar to the main motor...and a call out to the other person if we want the speed adjusted. This has been a good selection for us, because our main (only time we cruise is to get to fishing grounds usually...) use of the boat is for fishing.
Caty
PS...gone fishin tomorrow... Thumbs Up

My kicker is on the starboard side and I have a battery in each lazerett and no listing. I think you just have to plan your fuel and water load to achieve this. If your not going to keep the fuel tanks full then just make sure the port tank has more and that the water tank is full.

Steve,

You might want to check out getting a trollmaster for throttle control on the kicker. It's relatively cheap but would make adjusting the idle on the kicker easier. You can even mount the throttle control up at the helm. http://www.troll-masterpro.com/
CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flapbreaker wrote:

Steve,

You might want to check out getting a trollmaster for throttle control on the kicker. It's relatively cheap but would make adjusting the idle on the kicker easier. You can even mount the throttle control up at the helm. http://www.troll-masterpro.com/

shhhhhh...that looks like a sweeeet Christmas present for Steve Wink
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I'll keep quite. You can also get them from Cabelas. Very Happy
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ihave fitted the bracket which holds my 3.5 hp dinghy motor so that it will fit in the dive ladder fitting of the Armstrong motor bracket. I know that 3.5 hp sounds like a very small motor--but it will push TC 255 3 knots easily--and trolls really well at 1 to 2 knots--where some fishing is great--and you can still tiller steer, plus the bottom of the motor does not go below the bottom of the TC 255 hulls...so 15 to 18" water is "enough".

Back to the question--look if you can install a swim step and boarding ladder with the twins. I do believe that boats should have those for safety as well as versitility. I personally have gone with the single and kicker for the smaller boats--the TC 255 obviously has the twins. I also like to have one side of the motor well in the CD 22 clear so that we can put a ramp ashore, clean fish there, step into the well for other reasons.
But--it is a very personal choice. If you go with a single--do have a kicker of some sort.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: