The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

boat deck drains

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmydj

City/Region: CORPUS CHRISTI
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: ISLAND DOLPHIN
Photos: TUXPAN
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: boat deck drains Reply with quote

deck drain holes.

marina manager called today and advised the drain holes on tc255 were below water line and was tilting or listing .

advised that over the years he has seen boats with deck drains sink.

i have 2 150 hondas and there is a scum unequal line on port and starboard.

thanks in advance for advice
jim
Alok

City/Region: League City
State or Province: TX
Photos: Top Cat
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim:

Congratulations on your new boat!

The TC 255 normally lists to starboard. On my boat, the opening for the starboard scupper (cockpit drain) is normally half submerged. The port opening is just above the water line. This does not seem to cause any serious problem.

The list come from the fact that the water tank, the water heater, and the holding tank are all on the starboard side. We have deliberately kept all our heavy equipment on the port side to evn things out a bit.

Under normal circumstances, there is no back-flow of water into the cockpit. However, with any additional weight (3-4 people standing at the back of the boat, or if the fish boxes fill with water- which they will in a heavy rain) there will be back-up of some water into the cockpit. This drains out when the excess weight is removed.

I am sure many others will offer their opinion.

Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same config. with the Hondas. The dealer rigged the boat with the start batteries and a house battery on the port side behind the Refrig. This corrected the starboard list somewhat. There is still a slight starboard list but, it is much better. Put you heavy gear/rigging midship on the port side. Sportcraft Marina also gave me a couple plastic items that fit into the deck drain holes. I haven't needed them and probably wouldn't because it rains. I hope you don't experience any problems with water entry.

Gene

Brock

City/Region: Deltaville
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2006
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a TC 255 (#16). The starboard list appears to be a standard feature (no extra charge!) but I'm a little surprized they haven't corrected that by now. Since I never fill the fuel tanks completely, I try to put 10-15 gallons more in the port tank to help correct the problem.

Another "standard" feature on many new TomCats is the "self-filling" fish boxes which fill up even in light rain. Hopefully they have fixed that on your boat.

Welcome to the club. Good luck with your new boat.

Brock

Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deck drains flooding the cockpit seams to be a common problem on the TC255. The problem worsens when the fish boxes are also full of water.

In the above pix, note the scum line on the Armstrong Bracket. It's well above the deck drain level, and this is on the lighter port side. My solution is to plug the deck drains from inside the cockpit. I remove the plugs as needed to wash out the cockpit. I store the boat on the trailer, and inside a garage, so I don't have the issues of rain in an unattended boat. If it's on the water, we are using it.

We were in BC at Elk Bay on the Discovery Passage when this pix was taken. Four people on board, prawning and fishing. When everybody got on the same side to land a fish, or look in a prawn trap, it caused the deck drain to backflush onto the deck.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Discovery on Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Drain Plug Solution? Reply with quote

I just saw advertisement of a new drain plug...that lets water out but not in. The review said it seemed to work well, as advertised.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I heard that they were putting a larger drain tube with a one-way valve in it for the CD-25s and assumed they'd be doing that for the TC-255.

My old houseboat had that "water heater" tilt to it, so I put in a by-pass line and left the water heater empty unless cruising. Someone posted they had the batteries moved to under the co-pilot seat to help correct that list.

I guess you'd have to admit that there is alot more open storage to port, so filling that up might help like you say. It would be nice if the basic elements of the craft were balanced so we would not be obligated to add alot of unnecessary weight to correct the list.

John
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the oneway valve on the TC255, is that it doesn't have a positive seal. Water can slowly pass around the edges. If two or more people stand in the stern corners, the deck begins to flood. Then the water gets by the inadequate fish box seals, and fills the box. This adds more weight and the situation worsens. A heavy rain can start the process all by itself.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Brent, I am sorry to hear about that. I had just assumed that the valves had cured that problem.

The more I learn, the more it seems to me that you have to approach the TomCat 255 like an airplane - extra weight can cause alot of problems. 'Guess that should not be a surprise on a planing cat.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: