The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Broken door window on 94 22 cruiser

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbadmin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:43 am    Post subject: Broken door window on 94 22 cruiser Reply with quote

I broke the window while manuevering a large oar trying to free lines from the dinghy. Looks easy to pop out with an allen wrench, somewhere I read the original manufacturer of the window, I belive it was in the owner's manual. Does anyone have it?

Or should I consider replacing it with a high quality, thick plexiglass? Anyone?

Thanks.

Way to go on busting the window!! Don't you just hate it when something like that happens? Here is the info for contacting the folks who make the C-Dory windows (thanks to Tim on Lynn Marie, who posted it for us on C-Brats):
The C-Dory windows are made by Diamond/Sea-Glaze out of Aldergrove BC. They have a web site at www:diamondseaglaze.com, e-mail info@diamondseaglaze.com, and a toll free at 1-800-770-0455.

THANKS!

Actually, we got quite a laugh out of it. As long as noone was hurt, all is o.k. I've been "parking" the boat at a pretty impossible location, have to come in with the tide, southern coast of Maine--I have a 4 to hour window (2 hrs either side of high tide), come in right over big rocks, tie up 4 ways, let the tide go out, boat rests on the hard till the next high tide.

We had two two year olds, one three year old, and three adults onboard, and the tide was retreating rapidly, we had maybe fifteen minutes max. to adjust the boiat before it would rest on the bottom--on rocks if not positioned just right--on smooth hard sand if in the right place. Will be pulling it out Tuesday in case Isabel pays a visit (likely)....

Thanks for the link! (Any Thoughts on the plexiglass or Lexan vs. the safety glass?)

My thoughts on the plastic window. If you have a choice, use polycarbonate. It is a clear plastic that looks just like Plexiglass, but is much tougher. We use it at work for machine guarding and other things, and when they first started getting this stuff instead of Plexiglass, we referred to it as "bulletproof".

If you were on the west coast instead of the east, I would gladly get you a piece for nothing. But it might be cheaper to buy it there than to pay for the shipping from here.

Your parking spot sounds like something Red Fox would do! I bet that crew you had on board was quite a fun one! Being able to laugh about the broken window says a lot for the kind of day you had.

I'm thinking you need to sign up on C-Brats and tell us some more stories about your adventures. You will fit right in. You can tell them here, if you like, but there's a lot more folks to enjoy them over there.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the Polycarbonate tip, I'll look into it. I had to fly out of Maine today and will fly back there tomorrow to get the boat out of the water and over to relative's farm for storage should the Hurricaine impact the Northeast, so I'll be checking back later in the week or next weekend, right now the window is a relatively low priority as the category 5 Hurricaine moves closer--that would surely make a smashed window seem a miniscule problem in comparison!

Thanks again for the offer...

Lexan is indeed close to bullet proof. Both main and forward hatches on my San Juan 28 sailboat were Lexan and they've survived 23 years (so far) in fresh and salt water. These hatches get walked on daily when the boat is in use and both are just Lexan, no frames.

Lexan is a PITA to cut, so you may want this done for you.

I forget what polish we used, but the hatches stayed clear.

-- Chuck

Called Diamond Seaglaze and they said they do not supply windows for C-Dory. Suggested I call C-Dory themselves.

That is interesting. C-Dory must have found a different supplier for the windows. It sure seems there are a lot of older boats with that brand of window. Calling C-Dory is a sure bet. Be sure and call rather than email, though. Sometimes they don't respond to email questions. It will all work out, no problem.

And thanks for the info on the For Sale CD. I retired the original ad to the Blue Book and deleted the ad thread.

Hey, what is the diff' between, Lexan and Polycarbonate?

Greg-They're the same stuff, the difference is that Lexan is a registered trademark owned by some giant petrochemical company (probably DuPont), and polycarbonate is a simplified chemical name and is more of a generic term. The same relationship exists between Dacron and polyester, Crazy Glue and polyacrylate, aand Coke and cola, for instance. The trade name sometimes becomes the term used for most products in the generic group, even though many other manufacturers make a similar product, e.g., Scotch Tape, a dtrademark of 3m. Legally speaking, though, only the owner of the registered trademark has a right to use that term. HTH. Joe.

I didn't know that! Thanks! I can start calling it Lexan now - it's a lot easier to type than polycarbonate. Just like Kleenex is easier to type than boxed facial tissue.

Hey! Joe thnx', very interesting indeed! I'm with Mike, I doing the same from now on.... Surprised)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: