The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

raised Pilot roof

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boilingreef

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: raised Pilot roof Reply with quote

Hello,

Does anyone have a raised pilot house roof that does not like it? Does anyone not have one, that wishes they had one? Does anyone have detailed pictures of one so I could see what it's like? I am closer to ordering my C-Dory 22' but I am not sure on this one point. I am only 6' but my son is 6'2", and I am told that the raised roof gives a more open feel and less claustraphobic. Thoughts? Comments? Pictures?

Thanks in advance for your response{s}

jg
[alias, boilingreef]
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JG-
I have the raised roof on Fishtales. You can view the pics in my album by clicking on the "Fishtales" link below or to the left. We love it, not only do you get more head room, but you also get a larger electronics shelf.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
TK Grand

City/Region: Sioux Falls
State or Province: SD
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: TK Grand
Photos: TK Grand
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: raised cabin roof Reply with quote

My wife persuaded me to order the high-top roof. Fortunately, I listened to her. Now I know that I'd be glad I'd done so even if we didn't have 6'2" visitors. It really does make the cabin feel more spacious. Other than the cost, I just can't see any reason one would not want to own the higher version.

Richard on TK Grand
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've talked abut this before, and the negatives I can remember are:

1. Cost

2. Extra windage, which makes minor differences in

A. Drift when trying to fish over a deep spot without an anchor.

B. Swinnging about at anchor in the wind.

C. Wind resistance / fuel mileage.

3. The boat simply doesn't look as good with the bulbous raised roof cabin.

Part pf the appeal of the C-Dory (why so many people stop you at the launch ramp or gas station and want to talk to you about your boat), is the appeal of the classic lines that resemble a Monterey Trawler. (One guy, in jest, offered me his wife and two kinds in exchange for my boat at a gas station in Jackson, California two years ago!)

If you need the extra headroom, you need the extra headroom. Order it that way. If you don't take a good look at the difference in appearance and then decide. Joe. [/list]

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
boilingreef

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,

I really appreciatte the pictures. The roof takes a way from the lines a little, but the utilitarian of it all far outways that. If someone never saw a C-dory without the raised roof it would not be noticed.

When I stand in a 22' C-Dory and look out, I'm looking at the shelf. I'm only 6'. I have to stoop slieghtly to peer out, but operators of C-Dorys state the it is not an issue and that most of the time you are sitting anyway.

Does anyone have trouble looking out of the front window, to make sure thaty do not hit a floating log that is 6' or taller?

jg
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Boiling Reef,

Typically the C22 is not a "stand up and drive" boat; not that it can't be done. When in the boat alone I have stood in the center and viewed the world through the center window but in most cases (and especially with passengers aboard) you'll find the helm seat the preferable location.

I've gotten so used to seeing the high-top CD22's now that when I see the 'standard' lower roof is looks 'squashed'; not many months ago the high-tops looked a little different. It's just something one gets used to one way or the other. The early Classic Anglers had flat tops; somewhere along the line (about '85 or so) they did the first 'pop top' and I'm sure someone wondered what the heck they did that for, then we got used to it. Wink

The extra windage would be measured in square inches rather than square feet and is added mostly aft of center. I doubt in real world situations that there is any discernable effect; I go back and forth between them quite often and never give any thought to which style boat I'm in when maneuvering or docking.

Really the choice is about functionality (tall folks really enjoy it) and your personal and quite subjective view as to looks and the 'feel' of the cabin when inside.

www.marinautboats.com
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the aesthetics, there are practical reasons (beyond saving money) for some folks who choose the standard height cabin - height for components and items you add up top.

If you add an arch to a tall top, it needs to be 6" taller to have the same effect as an arch on the standard top. Many folks are adding arches tall enough to place a dinghy under - with the tall top, it adds 6 more inches you have to reach, and adds even more to the "tall look". Another item you might be thinking of placing on an arch - rod holders. With a tall top/arch, don't count on being able to easily access rods placed up there unless you mount them on the sides of the arch, or unless you're about 6'6".

My advice - if you have the opportunity, check out both in person. I initially planned on the tall top, but after comparing the two I didn't think it made that much difference, and opted to save the money. If were a couple inches taller (I'm 6'0"), it would have been a different story...

Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

The tall top option adds about 4" so it really isn't that much of a change except if you can't quite fit under the short top. No doubt things are a bit taller with the taller top but there are easy fixes...the rod holders (if you choose to put them across the back to the arch) can be the type that mount at their top which lowers the whole thing. Or, we often put the rod holders on the side of the arch which makes them very easy to get to by using the cockpit step and cabin bulkhead mounted (standard) handrail (you don't have to step up on the side deck). You can also mount the rod holders on a removable bar across the back of the arch which really puts them low. Most dinghies come aboard at the forward end of the boat and get slid back onto the cabin top; this keeps you from working overhead. If you retrieve the dinghy in the cockpit then one end of the rod holder bar can be released and the whole thing then swings out of the way to shove the dinghy up on top.

Food for thought...
Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 6'3" I'm a prime candidate for the Tall Top. Even if I was shorter I would opt for the taller top just as a matter of personal preference. I like the idea of more space, the practical use of it as well as the visual "feel" of it. The fact that my wife wanted the tall top also, "barely" enters into the equation ...........yeah, sure.

Shucks, I like it so well I bought one. That "May" 22CD has my name on it. Yep, 2nd Byte has been sold, and Les has yet more work piled on his doorstep.

To me, it's a matter of the the advantages of the hightop clearly outweighing any percieved disadvantages.

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, that's fantastic news. How in the world are you able to say it so nonchalantly? Congratulations!

You have sold 2nd Byte already? As meticulously kept up an improved as she was, I am not surprised it sold easily, but holy cow, we didn't even know it was on the market!

You're a coy one, that's for sure.

Again, congratulations. And we will have to get a chance to see this fine new vessel before it heads north. It would be wonderful to cruise just a bit with you when you sea trial it. Shoot, I hauled mine up there for some service work and got a whole handful of CB's and their CD's in the dead of winter. Surely we can use your new boat as an excuse!

I'm happy for you!

True Story

City/Region: Snoqualmie
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: True Story
Photos: True Story
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooooh, aaaaah, looks like your getting that Wallas after all.

Congratulations to you and your wife Mark. May + a couple of months = salmon fishing in Valdez......... WITH A NEW BOAT!

With something as exciting as this to look forward too, who cares when the river breaks up, eh?
boilingreef

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow,

You guys gave me quite the reply and info. I very much appreciatte your endeavors, and might have to just spring for the tall top now that I know it's working for so many.

I'm so far away from my first c-dory but I'm planning and dreaming about them now.

Thanks again for all the input.

jg

ps I thought you did not need a dinghy for these boats and just brought them up on shore?
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is more of an issue for somebody short sitting in the helm seat, like Patty - she has to sit on a cushion to see out properly...
boilingreef wrote:
Well,
Does anyone have trouble looking out of the front window, to make sure thaty do not hit a floating log that is 6' or taller?

jg

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beaching depends on where you are. I do 99% of my boating in the ocean, so I anchor out and use the dink to get to shore. If you are in an area that does not have the swells, you can beach on a sandy beach. A dink still comes in handy for exploring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: