The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Heat on a 16 footer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Heat on a 16 footer Reply with quote

I have a Coleman 3000 BTU catalytic heater for heat on my 16 foot cruiser.

Today I made a bracket to hold the heater in place when we are under way. It is an easy simple system that will keep the cabin comfortable while there is a camper back in place, when underway.

I have not tested it under way but know the heater will heat the cabin area to a comfortable temperature (t-shirt comfort) with the outside temperature in the upper 30’s. The fan blows just enough air to circulate the heat throughout the cabin.

I have photos of the set up in my Boat Projects album, starting with the last photos of page 1 & first photo of page 2. I took photos of it unpainted because it is easier to see how it is made. I will eventually paint it white so it will look better.

I know there will be comments about safety with the heater above the gas cans, however;

1. You are limited to where the heater can be mounted on the 16 footer. This is about the only place it can be mounted and effectively heat the cabin.

2. The catalytic heater does not have an open flame so it should not ignite gas fumes.

3. The heater will only be used in colder weather when there is not much chance of gas fumes being present.

4. If you are overly concerned with a setup like this, you should not be out in a boat in the first place. (your chances of being capsized be a freak wave an being eaten by sharks are just as great).

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat and Patti are going to love this. For when they want a quickie trip on the little boat.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David – I have used the heater many times with it sitting on the deck behind the cabin and it has done a good job of heating the boat but was unable to use it while under way. With the simple bracket, I can use it while under way and make it much more comfortable in colder weather.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: