View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Name Graphic Reply with quote

This morning, before taking Wild Blue out and giving her bottom a thorough scrubbing and scraping, I finally got a name graphic ordered. I tried to get one done while we were in Washington and was told by two different "quick" sign makers that it would be 10 days or more before they could get to it. I then tried a slew of on-line boat name places... and got estimates of $250 to $500, but could only find one place (at the high end, of course) who was willing to work with me on two different fonts with reversed colors and a drop shadow. That place also wanted to charge me an additional $150 for a "design fee", even though I did the design. Crook

Yesterday, I visited with our closest FastSigns franchise store and got a quote for $86... for the same thing that the on-line place wanted over 4 times that amount. I loaded my graphic onto a flash drive, took it in today, and it will be ready tomorrow afternoon. Sure hope the finished product looks as good as what they showed me for samples.

I've done plenty of boat name graphics before for other boats... this is the first time I've asked for two different fonts with different effects. You wouldn't think that would be such a big deal, but the places like BoatUS and others don't have any provision for that.

Wild Blue was beginning to wonder if we were ever going to get her name on there.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Last edited by JamesTXSD on Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's way cool. Bring her back to the Pac NW.

Dusty

oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks good Jim. I like the curved line under Blue.

It looks to me like you will have three different signs to put on. The shadow, the blue, then the yellow. Are you going to apply it to your boat or have them do it?

Here in Olympia, I paid Fast Signs twice to do my signs. $85 the first time, then they gave me a discount, only charged $59 for the second sign because I was disappointed with the first (they miss-spelled Voyager) and the font was not what I wanted. I never once dickered with them on price, was willing to pay whatever they wanted. I just wanted it to look like the example I gave them. Their version of the font I wanted was different than mine. I ended throwing both away and went to a local independent sign maker and he was able to do what I wanted. He charged $65 for the sign plus $15 for working with me for 30 minutes on the design work.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,
They are working directly from my file; so, as long as they get the vinyl color right with the blue, it should look the same. In order to do the gradient drop shadow, they have to put down a clear layer first (otherwise, it would be a black shadow with a hard edge). Then the gold, then the blue. Reverse that on the "Wild" part, and no shadow (so it looks like "Blue" is standing out from the rest). The young lady at FastSigns seemed very sharp; I'll let you know how it turns out.

In the past, I have worked with a guy up north who does great work (on a part time basis), but a medical situation in his family prevents him from doing this right now.

Since it's my file, if there's anything spelled wrong, it's my fault! Crook Hmmm, maybe I shoulda run that through the spell check? Nahhh... it's two four-letter words - I'm pretty good at that. Cool

Best wishes,
Jim
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used "local" vinly sign shops--never paid more than $100, for marine grade quality vinly. Design fee is nonsense. I do my own art work and send it on a disc. I suspect that the cutting marchines are all about the same.

Nice looking name.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Grumpy Man

City/Region: Ferndale/Sandy Point
Vessel Name: Sass Sea Lady
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, Call my wife Taunya @ CDI Sign and Awning for boat graphics. She does a lot of the wheel and keel boats. Mention that you are from the C-Dory group. Very Happy

Don
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Don,

A bit more info might help others who are looking for that service. I just came in the door from picking up my graphic - looks good. Wind is blowing about 25 right now, so I will wait for it to ease off a bit before putting these on.

I've always been a big believer in doing business with those who do business with us... had I known a C-Brat participant was offering this service, I would have checked there first.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great james. What did you use (software) for the design work?
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a now retired professional photograher, I used Photoshop CS2... it's what I worked with all day long doing photo composites and layouts, so it felt "like home." Easy to stroke the type for the second color and control the twist to get that wave effect (which is just an underline in the same font as "Blue", on a different layer to control the effect and placement). Same with the drop shadow - easy.

I picked up the graphics today and put them on - they did a great job with the finished product and it looks really nice on the boat. I especially like the textured gold in "Wild". The blue color is just right, and the gold and drop shadow go well with the C-Dory logo.

We took her out for a short cruise afterwards... I'm pretty sure the name on there makes the boat handle better and improves fuel economy. Wink

Best wishes,
Jim B.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: