The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Moose Encounters 45 in. Rainy Day Lake Muskie !

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Moose Encounters 45 in. Rainy Day Lake Muskie ! Reply with quote

Moose Encounters 45 in Rainy Lake Muskie:

OK, Moose (Al), what's the story on this monster???

Jealous Joe

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Al, tell the tale...it's a good one. I think you have a new lucky hat. Laughing

Rick

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the thing, it's only the second one I've ever caught in my life. The first was an 11 lb.er on Lake of the Woods. I caught it by accident on light tackle while fishing walleye. Heck of a fight, but then had to throw it back cause they have to be huge to keep. Myrna is gone to AZ for a couple weeks to move her mom back to MN. So I was gonna go out alone for an overnight, but then just didn't feel like it, so I thought I'd go out just for a long day of fishing. I downrigged a deep (40') reef for big pike or walleye and then failing that thought I'd actually try for muskie. There's only a couple of places on Rainy where they are found and one is where the Seine River enters the lake. The river was really weed choked this summer, but my friend at the tackle shop said they can also be found where the river hits the lake. So, some years ago when I started fishing, I got the bug and bought a huge Grim Reaper spinnerbait and have never really used it for the intended purpose. But I went up near where the river comes in and, having just read about fall muskies in Esox Angler mag., I started trolling shallow near a group of rocks and islets. First, I snagged bottom at about 5 feet, got the lure free (them babies is expensive!), and set out again. I'd just gone a little way when I heard the clicker going off on the reel. I looked at the sounder and it said 18 feet so I thought this must be a fish. I put it in neutral and leaped for the rod. I thought I had bottom. There was no violent tugging on the line, but as I cranked and pulled on the rod, I thought I was making progress. But then with 50 lb. test line, I also thought I might be pulling the boat towards a snag. But as I reeled in, the line came toward me and then went straight down. Then the monster came to the surface. I couldn't believe the size. I reached for the net with one hand, and it made a run. But I got it back and managed, with a couple of fumbles, to get it headed into the net. Then I dropped the rod, grabbed the net with two hands, but still had a heck of a time to lift it into the boat. It just about spanned the cockpit! I was absolutely shaking with excitement and, in fact, still can't quite believe it. It's the biggest fish I've ever caught, by a long shot, and probably the biggest I've ever seen. And yes, that cap (courtesy of Rick) must be lucky because I went out again today without it and got zip!
Al

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al-

Congratulations, and thanks for the story!

I know there had to a good story behind a fish like that!

That's probably a once in a lifetime experience!

Joe.
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:

That's probably a once in a lifetime experience!

Well, I hope not; I'm still relatively young. But, I'll tell you one thing, I'm gonna be careful where I skinny-dip from now on. Them fish's got teeth!!!
Al
Butch

City/Region: Rising Sun
State or Province: MD
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: My only question..... Reply with quote

Nice fish, great story, now let's get to the nitty gritty... who cleaned his britches? I know I would have left skid marks for sure!
Congratulations... nice fish, great story, and best of all it was a shared experience.

From one old fisherman to another, "May you bobber forever float".

Butch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: