The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Removing Krytonite Lock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeMac

City/Region: Stafford
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: MikeMac
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Removing Krytonite Lock Reply with quote

Hi folks,
About three years ago I bought a Kryptonite padlock to secure my kicker on my old OMC bracket. It was a replacement for an old Masterlock that was getting pretty rusty. This past weekend I was going to remove the motor to refinish the plywood motor pad on the bracket. The key would turn but the lock wouldn't open. At first I thought this might be self inflicted since when I installed the lock I sprayed in with OMC proctective goop that dries to a hard grease, so I thought the lock was just gummed up with grudge and such. I soaked it for a day in a small plastic bag full of Liquid Wrench with no luck.
A little web sleuthing suggests that the failure rate on these padlocks is pretty high. I Emailed Kryptonite but have yet to get a response. The guys down at my local hardware store think I shold go at it with a carbide hacksaw blade, which doesn't sound like too much fun. Any other ideas?
Thanks!

Mike
mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Cutoff wheel Reply with quote

I've cut really large pieces of metal in tight places with a cutoff wheel
on a Dremel, or the flexible wand Dremel attachment. It can take a
little while, but it's easy work.

Mike
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the key turns all the way, try smacking the sucker with a hammer while the key is turned. Hold the key fully turned to the unlock position and tap the body of the lock down and away from the loop. That oughta do 'er.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Mike's Persuasive Manipulation doesn't open it's little heart, I'd go at it with a "big" 2 1/2" cutoff wheel mounted on a pneumatic die grinder or on a specifically designed cutoff tool and about 90 psi of air.

Cover the gas tank, the sparks will be spectacular !!!

Don't let the hot pieces fall and burn anything!

Should take 5-10 seconds at the most.

Nuttin' like hot buttered hardened steel sprayed all over the workshop!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
MikeMac

City/Region: Stafford
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: MikeMac
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Success!!! Reply with quote

Success!!
Gee is it just me or are there lots of Mikes out there (sorry Joe). I don't have a Dremel so I had to go to plan B. Tried whacking it with the key turned and no luck. So I went at it with carbide hacksaw blade. It was a spirited energetic fight, but I finally won. When I'd cut most of the way throught one side of the loop, I thought it's a fifty-fity chance that I picked the one that turns, and luckily I did!
There's a moral in here somewhere. I futzed around with the thing for two days when If I'd just gotten after it I would have had it done in fifteen minutes. Thanks for the suggestions!

Mike
The old lock still works!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: