The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Towing trailer empty
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its 365 miles from Fairbanks to Valdez and though the road has improved over the years it has some rough spots and a lot of undulations due to frost heaves. An empty tandem with surge that travels that road with no problem. I routinely do drop the pressure on the tires though just to soften it's ride a little. Either way, "no violence allowed".

Geez, my memory isn't completly gone after all. Another time I left Seattle with a boat trailer that was quirky, but inconsistantly so, for a run to Fairbanks (single axle -surge brakes). At Clinton, on the AK highway, one wheel locked up absolutely solid. Brake cylinder had froze up tight. Went ahead and replaced both cylinders and was on my way.

Stuff happens, but I'm sure you'll get this figured out and hope all goes well on your trip. Be a real plus if you can pin it down fefore the fact.

Moral of this story is to be ahead of the curve!

Jon - CLou

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Lou
Photos: C-Lou and Pee Wee
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, remember the problem I had with the new King trailer locking up when backing up a small grade. Well, after a month scratching my head, I discovered it wasn't anything wrong with my trailer, it was a faulty reverse switch (worked intermittently) that was buried underneath the dash on my truck. It sure didn't take very much pressure to activate the brakes on the trailer. This leads me to believe that your idea with the trailer bouncing on rough roadways is activating the brakes. That would be my first guess with an empty trailer. Once the trailer starts to jump, it starts a back and forth motion creating havoc behind your truck.
Jon

Last edited by Jon - CLou on Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jon - CLou

C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Lou
Photos: C-Lou and Pee Wee
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, adjust your surge pressure (if that's possible) so it's not so sensitive to engage your brakes.

Last edited by Jon - CLou on Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:02 am; edited 2 times in total
Chivita

City/Region: Hansville
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Chivita
Photos: Chivita
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

Have you checked to see if the tires were balanced? Sometimes the factory forgets to check when they mount the tires or they don't put the weights on correctly and you throw a weight when you start driving down the road. I used to be a pump jockey (back when there was something called Full Serve) and have found that problem with a lot of vehicles out there. I have run into several trailers that were delivered with unbalanced tires, this tends to trash the wheel bearings if you run long enough as well.

I'm not sure if you have the "Les Schwab" tire company down in Northern Cal, they usually do simple balances like that for cheap or free. I'd steer clear of the corner gas station unless you know them well, without the right equipment or training they can miss-balance the tires and make it worse, gas stations usually charge the most as well. Good luck on this, let us know what you find out!

Chivita Dave
wailedcentipede

City/Region: canada
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Blue Jay
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my trailer also bounces when towing lite, bounced so hard the one board came off (bunk type) ... kinda think once it starts the serge brake helps it along as the road wasn't that rough ... i half to jam mine to keep it unlocked ( to back up etc.) started checking other trailers but never came across one with a lever to keep the brakes unlocked ... to lower the tire pressure would be the easiest test .... easy to refil .... lol
C-Sick

City/Region: Renton
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Photos: C-Sick
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Towed New King Trailer Today Reply with quote

I got tomeet in person the cyber mythical C-Dory heroes Les and Sawdust when I picked up my new King Trailer at EQ Marina this morning.

You guys live up to your reputation of being just darn friendly, full of valuable knowlege and very helpful. Not only did you get me on by way but I had a smooth tow back to Renton with my tandem trailer with disc brakes.

I might also add my Monster Towing Rig is only a 4.3 liter Chev Astro Van.

I would agree with those who are suggesting that the surging breaks must be the culprit.

Da Nag

C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a follow up here - problem is mostly solved.

After paying a little closer attention to the uncomfortable ride, I realized the problem was one of bouncing, not bucking. The brakes were not engaging.

Pacific suggested loosening up the bolt on the pivot arm that is between the two axle leaf springs. Evidently, they tighten these down at the factory in order to keep the axels stationary for shipping; the trailers get stacked on a flatbed, and they don't want the axles flopping about. They are supposed to be loosened on arrival, but per the tech that doesn't always happen.

In addition to the above, I cranked my truck shocks up to their stiffest setting, and reduced the air pressure in the trailer tires from 32 to 25 lbs. per tire. It's now fine on all but the roughest sections of freeway.

Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're good to go Bill. I've have been wondering how your trailer situation was coming along. I was poised to ask the question but figured you would let us know in due time.

Glad to hear it was a simple relatively minor fix. Thanks for the update.

Enjoy the ride and have a safe trip!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: