The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Practical Book on Boat Electrical Systems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therrick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Practical Book on Boat Electrical Systems Reply with quote

I've got the 12-Volt Bible and the 12-Volt Doctor's Practical Handbook, but am interested in finding a book or two that provide more of a hands-on guide to wiring a boat and installing everything from a bilge pump to radar. Recommendations???

Thanks,

Tom Herrick
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

A good book is 'Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual' by Nigel Calder. Almost half the book is about electrical systems and equipment.

I attended a lecture/workshop by Nigel and he really does know and is able to explain boat electrics.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Nigel Calder's book. Also The Boat owners electrical Handbook--by Charlie Wing is a decent book.

There is quite a bit of information on the internet. But each boat is different--and often one has to remove some wiring which is not up to stardards, and replace it, with proper buss bars, fuses/breakers and switches.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
therrick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Larry and Bob.

After about 15 minutes of perusing, it looks like the Caulder book is what I had in mind. His book is going to be very helpful. You're right about the clarity of his explanation.

Most of the wiring on my boat is not up to even my neophyte standards. There are many examples of the typical quick-fix approach to adding circuits. I'm going to start over from scratch.

Thanks again.

Tom Herrick
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to sound like such a commercial shill...I point these guys out quite often around here whenever wiring comes up. But, they have great products, prices and service.

TerminalTown.com

They primarily cater to the experimental aircraft builder, but their products are equally at home in a marine environment.

They have crimp connectors w/shrink in every size/end you'll need. I find their connectors to be superior ro Ancor, and they cost significantly less. The shrink ends are about 25% longer than Ancor, and they seal up with less heat.

They sell Tefzel Mil Spec Wire - if you haven't used this stuff, you're missing out. The insulation is much thinner than the typical marine wire you get at West Marine, resulting in much less bulk. It's tough as nails, and the slick coating and smaller size make routing it through tight spaces a snap. This mil-spec copper wire is suitable for marine applications - stranded and tin coated.

They also sell clear shrink wrap - a great way to make permanent labling. Simply print/write your labels on paper, wrap them around the wire (before attaching terminal ends), and slide a piece of clear shrink warp over them. Makes for a very professional installation.

Another place that somebody pointed me towards, although I've no personal experience with them - SteinAir. They advertise Tefzel wire as well, in several colors - TerminalTown only lists white.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: