The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

22 ft cruiser and porta potti
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

We have a 22', the porta potti travels under the vee birth cushion, and gets used there days. We use the Thetford chemical, and there is no discernible smell (we tried others, and they were awful) - I assume there other good brands but we can vouch for Thetford. Privacy is not an issue with us but if it were (shy guests or whatever) there is a privacy curtain that zips up and snaps back in place when not in use. At nights, the porta potti goes out in the cockpit (we have a camperback with privacy curtains) just because it is not convenient to move the vee birth cushion at 3:00 am when somebody is sleeping on it! If you think about it, all marinas and state parks pretty much have some kind of toilet facilities, so unless you are going out on the water and staying out for a while (more than a couple of days) capacity isn't an issue either. All in all, the porta potti, especially the way it nestles in under the vee birth cushion, is a pretty satisfactory solution on the 22'. That and a pee bottle when you are in the mood for a lot of beer!

Scotty wrote:
Thanks for all the good information. It sounds like the Porta Pottie is more of a privacy/convience issue rather than a dirty/gross thing. I guess I will have to see for myself. Does anyone know if the C-Dory's will be at the San Diego boat show? I might also make it up to Seattle for the show. Thanks again.

Scott

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott-
We go to Catalina for a week every year. The Isthmus at Two Harbors has facilities, so the potty is used mostly at night. We have spent several 3 day weekends out at Santa Cruz Island- usually Smugglers Cove, without maxing out the tank.
May go out next weekend if you want to make a run out to the islands for a day. Let me know.
Hope to see ya on the water soon.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Bess-C

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bess-C
Photos: Bess-C
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had our boat for less than a year, but we've had enough experience with the head and holding tank on the 25 to have formed some opinions. The whole system has a learning curve. The toilet works reasonably well, we haven't had any problems with it yet. The holding tank holds 30 gallons, so you don't have to empty it as often as the porta-potti. You do have to learn how to use the pump outs. There are many different models, in various stages of repair. Be sure that you have an adapter, it makes the job much easier, and is required where there are electric pump outs. When we went to Vancouver Island's west side for two weeks, we discovered that they didn't have any pumpouts. That meant using the macerator for the first time. Our macerator had gotten wet (forgotten drain plug), the bearing had seized, and I had to replace it at the dock, with a full holding tank. Fortunately the local marine store had an exact replacement. I can tell you that it's a job that can ruin an afternoon. You will think that plumbers aren't paid enough after you're finished. Bottom line is that we like our 25 and the enclosed head with hot water and a shower. But I wouldn't make a decision between the 22 and 25 based on the toilet. The porta-potti is a much simpler system, and the toilet is going to require some maintenance.
Lyle

17 Center Console C-Dory 10/16
Anne-B

City/Region: Suburban Philadelphia
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1992
Vessel Name: ANNE-B
Photos: ANNE-B
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I'm under my green tarp for the winter, I can see the C Brats are talking P-P from the reflection on the window next to the computer. My owners Doug & Anne Have taken a beech towel, and put snaps in the corners of the narrow end. After unsnaping the corners of the vinyl curtian, snap the towel on, and you don't have to fool with the zipper. My captain also put male snaps above the cabin door on the inside, snap the towel on for quick privacy. The towel is also used on the bunk when the anchor is pulled in. Lastly the beech towel is folded and put on the top of the small ice chest so the ice will last the weekend. Always use the blue stuff in the PP. Can't wait till the tarp is off and I'm back on the Chester River. Anne B
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: ? Cents Worth Reply with quote

My wife and I have considerable experience with Porta-pottis (we currently have three, two of which are in regular use).

I agree with those who comment on their ease of use. Here are a few tips, for what they're worth:

1. Clean the entire Potti with every emptying, if possible. Lysol works as a good disinfectant.

2. Use the potti only for urination, insofar as possible. That will extend the "life" of a tank in use many times over, before emptying becomes necessary. One tank, even with a smaller potti (see #6 below), can be extended to as long as 2 weeks for a couple while cruising.

3. Males: if possible, kneel before the potti to urinate. This eliminates splashing, and also makes for automatic privacy when the potti is in the V-berth.

4. We have placed Velcro on the top of the V-berth privacy curtain. This make for easier and more flexible use of the "privacy" area.

5. We have exchanged a smaller Coleman potti for the larger potti that came with our C-22 (see photos in subalbum, "Various Ideas") Its height is 4" shorter, and allows for more headroom when in the V-berth: 37" to be exact (enough for me, at 6'). When set in the aisle at the back of the cabin at night, we set it to the hinged side of the door: being smaller in width as well as height, it offers sufficient room to pass comfortably through the door to the cockpit.

6. We use the Coleman dry "packets" for the deodorizer. They are readily available, convenient and work well. No measuring or mess is involved.
teflonmom

City/Region: Red Lion
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Snickers AUG 08
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Port a Pot Reply with quote

Hi,

If we were ordering a new 25 or C-Cat today we would have it shipped with a portapotti. Much less hassel than a built in head-no smelly hoses, no smelly tank vents, no expensive rebuild kits and you save the space of the holding tank.

NUFF SAID
Fred and Pat Messerly

flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3. Males: if possible, kneel before the potti to urinate. This eliminates splashing, and also makes for automatic privacy when the potti is in the V-berth.

and all this time I thought you were supposed to stand on the downwind lazarette . . .
Forty Two

City/Region: Prince William Sound
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Black Cat
Photos: Barrel O Monkeys
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that, on a boat, sooner or later, everything will eventually break. Then ask yourself whether you are prepared to deal with it when it does break.

I know my limitations, so we have a porta-potti.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: