Bennett Trim Tab Position Indicators

View previous topic :: View next topic  
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Bennett Trim Tab Position Indicators Reply with quote

I have Bennett Trim tabs on C-Cakes and am considering getting position indicators. I can't always tell when mine are in the full up position and don't like applying pressure to the hydraulics when they are already fully retracted. Bennett makes two versions; a stand alone model that mounts on the dash and one that uses NMEA2000 connections and is displayed in a window on the chartplotter. Bennett developed the latter with Lowrance and does not know if it would work with a C-80. I think I would prefer the NMEA version but am not sure. Has anyone used either version or are there other aftermarket indicators I should consider?

Thanks.

tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Bennett standalone indicator and would like to shift to the NMEA also. Since I have Lowrance LCX20 it shouldn't be a problem for me. When you look at the price of the stand alone indicator I wonder why I bought it. The factory puts them on with the trim tabs. My indicator is too low to read where it is unless you lean back and over.

If you decide you want to do it and the NMEA won't work with your C-80, I would consider a trade. I know I can find something to put in the hole.

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colobear: Bennett has the little black box that plugs into the wiring harness. That gadget auto-retracts the tabs to full up position whenever the ignition is switched off. Everytime you start your engine you know the tab position is full up. Very handy if you poke around shallow water and beach often. It is nice that the boat always remembers to retract the tabs for me to prevent damage. I thought it was a better way to go than with the indicators and am very satisfied.

When you retract the tabs you should hear the pump (if you can hear it)get a little louder when the tab is fully retracted. I don't think you can damage the unit. If I recall, there is a spring that pulls the tab up. Fluid pressure pushes the tab down and then is bleed off for the spring to pull it back up.

Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you have the indicators the tabs retract when you turn off the engine. My indicator module was attached to the helm on top of a beveled base that tilts the indicator upwards. It is fairly easy to see the LED lights on the indicator.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: