The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Private message question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Private message question Reply with quote

Is it normal for a "pm" to sit in your outbox after sending? I sent a couple of them and there they sit.
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normal. It sits there 'till it's read by the party you PM'd
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Private message question Reply with quote

What Uncle said. For contacting people who don't post more or less regularly, you have the option to email them through the site, and this may be a better choice a lot of the time. If they reply directly to your email, you have their email address and you can communicate directly outside the site...

flapbreaker wrote:
Is it normal for a "pm" to sit in your outbox after sending? I sent a couple of them and there they sit.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you send a PM, two things happen on the recipient's end.

First, an email gets sent to the address they registered with, letting them know a message is waiting for them. This email all too often gets caught up in SPAM filters, either by the user's ISP, or their own email program. AOL is by far, the worst offender here. It's also possible that a user's email address has changed since they registered here, and they've not update their profile...in which case the email gets lost in the ether...

Second, a popup window will be displayed on the users next visit here, assuming they login. However, most folks surf with popup blockers now, so unless they've included an exception for www.c-brats.com , they don't see it. Popup blockers are also the #1 cause of photo album problem reports - if you don't allow them here, you can't add photos.

Liike Pat mentioned, you can send them an email through the board. However, as with the PM notification they get sent via email, these can also get improperly flagged as SPAM and you'll never know. Which is why I usually use PM's when trying to contact somebody for the first time - you know if they've received it, as it will get moved to your "Sentbox" once they've looked at it.

One last note on PM's, which we've disclosed in the past - they are stored in the same database that runs the forum here. Neither our moderators or Mike or I have direct access to them; even if the board software included tools to look in on them, that's not something we would do. However, I do have full and unfettered access to the underlying database here. Were I of the mind to do so, or compelled to do so through some legal process, PM's are easily retrievable, and I make nightly backups of the database. This is no different than emails and your ISP, but members should be aware of it...

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Nag wrote:
When you send a PM, two things happen on the recipient's end.

First, an email gets sent to the address they registered with, letting them know a message is waiting for them. This email all too often gets caught up in SPAM filters, either by the user's ISP, or their own email program. AOL is by far, the worst offender here. It's also possible that a user's email address has changed since they registered here, and they've not update their profile...in which case the email gets lost in the ether...

Second, a popup window will be displayed on the users next visit here, assuming they login. However, most folks surf with popup blockers now, so unless they've included an exception for www.c-brats.com, they don't see it.

Also - the email notification of new PMs can be disabled in the user's profile by the user (mine is off), and the pop-up notification can also be disabled by the user (mine is on and my pop-up blocker set to except this site). If both notification methods are disabled by the user, the message may not be read unless they happen to see the little notice in the top menu line.

I have sent lots of PMs to people while they were online and not have them read for a long time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: