The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

GAS TANK GAGES NOT WORKING

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: GAS TANK GAGES NOT WORKING Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

When I finally got my boat underway,I found that both GAS TANK GAGES did not work. There is electricity at the gages. What could be the problem that both gages went out at the same time?

Any ideas.

Fred

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will more than likely get another response with the correct term of the part inside the tank that receives and is suppose to report the fuel remaining amounts thingy..... I think it is called a cylenoid or or something like that,,,,but they often go bad. Another reason to be able to just see the fuel in the tank or be able to "stick" the tanks. I will yeild to those with other ideas....or know what that part that looks like a smaller hot water tank heating element turned upside down in a tank is called.

Byrdman
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred-

I've sometimes had trouble with the fuel gagues on my older boat.

It's always been due to a weak connection at the top of the sender unit(s) on the top of the tank. The wiring up at the gagues in the cabin is much more protected and less prone to open circuits.

Get a VOM meter (volt-ohms-amps), and go back and see that you have power going into the unit by checking the incoming voltage against a ground, and then checking that there is voltage the return wire by checking it's voltge against a ground.

The most common problem here is simply corrosion on the push-on solderless connectors on the top of the sending unit. Water (particularly salt water) splashes up and is sprayed on the terminals of the sender unit that sticks out of the tank, corroding the connections.

Work gently on it to clean the terminals, as the corrosion may be so bad that they break off! In that case, you'll need a new sending unit.

You could also have a problem if the ground wire to the gauges is broken or off. I only have one gauge with a Port/off/Stbd switch and a single ground. If you haqve two gauges, they may still share a common ground. Check with the meter to see that the ground wire is connected by checking the resistance between it and another known good ground wire. There should be nearly 0 ohms. If it's higher, ground a wire between the known good ground and the gauge ground, and the connection should allow the gauges to work. Then fix or replace the broken/faulty ground wire.

As Tyboo says, "Ain't boats fun?"

Good luck and keep us posted!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Joe.

Your explanation seems to be the most logical approach. My son-in-law, the marine mechanic, thinks it is the same problem.

I will also make a stick that will do the same thing. My problem is that I do not have much time before going to the Erie Canal in that my boat is in Hingham, and I am on Nantucket. This is our busy season, and the guests seem to go crazy in August.

Fred

PS. I just do not think I should ask my son-in-law to fix everything on my boat, unless he will accept money. He will not accept money from me, even though the money goes to the Grandkids. Also, I just have to learn how to do it. Part of the enjoyment of owning a boat, especially a C-Dory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: