View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Space Inside the Bunks in the V-Berth Reply with quote

Is there any space under the bunks in the V-berth, or is that area filled with flotation?

Has anyone ever cut into that area to take a look? Is there a compelling reason not to do so?
mysteria

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: v-berth Reply with quote

Hi Wayne,
Most c-dory models except 16 & 19 's) the area under the v-berth is filled with foam for flotation. I don't recommend cutting into that area!
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our return trip from Alaska we met Jim & Darda Harrison (C-Dory Tesoro) in Smuggler Cove, BC.

As I recall, they mentioned opening up one/both of those areas and installing hatches for additional (if somewhat remote) storage.

I've though thought about it but pretty well decided against it. (We seem to have the ability to overload Naknek with the available storage areas!) For us, I think the challenge is learning to reduce the load.

Naturally, the other issue is the floatation provided by the V-berth compartments, and to what extent that would be impacted. It will be interesting to see what other folks have to say on the subject.

Casey
C-Dory Naknek
therrick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to a friend who used to sink boats under contract to the Coast Guard, and she said she seemed to remember that there was a size limit in regard to floatation. That is, boats under a certain size are required have to have it and boats over that size can remove it. Her recollection was that a 22-footer could remove it without legal problems; but that's certainly something to check out with the CG if you get serious about it.

I have thought seriously about clearing out the space beneath the berth. Man on this older Classic 22 storage is at a premium and I'd love some more. And I just can't leave well enough alone; got to keep improving and upgrading where I can. I've been trying to achieve some balance on this issue and below are some of the main considerations I've been working with.

- My friend who is particularly safety conscious and practical thinks it is generally a good idea to have something afloat to hold on to while waiting for help.

-If the water is warm enough, great, but hypothermia might well get to you before the CG does. I'm moving to where the waters are cold and my thought thus far is to make provisions to keep myself out of the water and dry if the C-Dory goes down.

-If the boat is half underwater and abandoned, it may get dashed on the rocks as opposed to sinking to the bottom and being possibly recoverable. Seems like it depends on how deep it sinks, how far it is from a salvage contractor, and the level of insurance coverage.

-I'd use a large storage area many times on each trip vs. maybe never getting swamped.

It seems to me that if one is to make the decision to dump the floatation, that countermeasures must be taken to ensure one's safety. I still like the idea of opening up the area under the berth, but want to make sure I've considered all the options before I do.

That said, an fairly well-known C-Dory owner did remove everything under the bunk down to the hull and refitted with a water tank and other storage. Here's his Web site pages that show the process: http://groups.msn.com/C-DoryRedFox/vberth1.msnw

Good luck with it.

T
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The underside of the berth in my 1987 CD22 was empty and had a drain plug at the bottom of it at the cabin floor. The 2002 and up (I think) have flotation foam in there. I have no idea about your 1999.

My 1996 CD25 is empty up there, and does not have the drain plug like my earlier boat. I wanted to see if it was dry inside, so I cut a 6" round hole and sealed it back up with a plastic flange and a clear window I made for it. The inside was bone dry, and as soon as I cut into it there was a very strong smell of fresh fiberglass. I would have to say that it was sealed real good.

If you want to make storage there, I suppose it would be OK as long as it was light stuff. You can always use tabs or motor trim to push the bow down, but if you suddenly need to have it up out of the water in a nasty sea you might not be able to if it is heavily loaded.

Patrout

City/Region: NORTH POLE
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: C-FARER
Photos: C-FARER
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at Greg's [b][i]Red Fox [/i][/b]V-Berth mods. If it can be done to a 22 foot classic, he has (or is about to) accomplished it.
Pat
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Red Fox Modifications Reply with quote

Thanks for the lead on Red Fox. I had not seen his innovative modifications. AMAZING!
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I always thought that it might be nice to increase storage by cutting in a waterproof hatch under the berths. I feel that additional flotation should be added to compensate for the loss of flotation. The flotation could be added in dead places around the gas tanks and under the cockpit combing. It might even improve the boat if swamped by having it settle in the water right side up rather than bow up. Then we could climb on the cabin top to stay dry until help arrives.

Just an idea.

Fred

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: