View previous topic :: View next topic  
shogimac

City/Region: Klawock
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SISU
Photos: Tonie O
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Craig to Keticikan Reply with quote

Hello,

I know that some C-Dory folks were here in Craig earlier in July ( I heard the stories!). Did anyone round the south side of POW Island around Cape Chacon to Metakatla or Ketchikan? I've been to Hydaburg (no fuel) so I'll need to make it on the 50 gallons that I carry from Craig. If I need to duck up an inlet it will take extra fuel and I'm kinda conservative. Charts make it look like 120 -150 NM? I value a fellow brat's experience far more than the just the chart.

The waning summer is upon me and we'll have to either round the familiar north side to go south but I'd love to run south before tackling the Dixon? Any feedback is appreciated, I'll have to leave this wonderful place in a day or two...

Advanced thanks,

Shawn (Tonie O)
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shawn...

Goodness, you HAVE been in Craig for a while. Good fishing I guess!

As for the south passage to POW island, no we haven't done it (I'm not aware of any C-Dory's going that route...). Lots of exposure.

As for range - my experience has been that if I slow down to displacement speed it virtually doubles fuel mileage. The only problem with that is our yen for speed ... proceeding at 6mph or so just seems soooo Sloooww.

Have you checked for fuel at Metlakatla (west side of Annette Is)? I don't know if they have fuel or not, but might be worth checking.

Good Luck!
Casey
C-Dory Naknek
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn --

Nope, we didn't go that way either. We concur with Casey -- Stretches fuel capacity and can be a rough trip through the Dixon Entrance. Bon voyage --

shogimac

City/Region: Klawock
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: SISU
Photos: Tonie O
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Craig to Keticikan Reply with quote

Thanks Casey, Bill and El,

Yes, fishing has again been stellar and the pinks are just starting to show. I'm going to error on the side of caution and return up the north side of the island. I doubt that I'd be able get to Metakatla or Ketchikan without having to snake up the east side of POW and duck a couple of times which would take me to the brink. I'm a week late already so I best run fast before I run outta excuses.

It has sure been great summer and its hard to leave Craig but tomorrow we'll pull the plug and get back on the way. Thanks for the reply, it was great to see you all up here!

Shawn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: