The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Vintage EZ Loader Trailer with Roller

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therrick

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Vintage EZ Loader Trailer with Roller Reply with quote

Still trying to figure out my 1984 EZ loader trailer with its full width roller on the back end. Had the idea that the roller and bunks should have been at the same plane, but am not sure now. I'm at least the third owner and don't have the manual on unloading and loading a boat on this type of trailer.

I'd like to hear input on whether to dump the roller, elevate the bunks, or just learn how to properly use the trailer as apparently designed.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant really imagine what it is you are working with, so maybe a picture is in order.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

therrick-

I'm going to stick my neck out and propose to you why I think that roller exists and how it functions.

If you are on a steep enough ramp where you can get the trailer in deep enough to float the boat inor out over the bunks, it probably doesn't have a function. However, on a shallow ramp where you can't float in or off the bunks, the roller is necessary to accomodate the absolute flat bottom of the Classic CD-22 (looks like the bottom of a clothes iron to those unfamiliar with it).

Ordinarily, a boat with a vee-d bottom and some fore-aft rocker can come in with the more pointed bow over the flatter rear part of the trailer and roll on a progression of several rubber rollers on the trailer centerline until it begins to rise up and meet the bunks. Launching is the reverse, of course.

Your boat, with its very flat bottom, must have that wide roller to get the boat up and forward onto the trailer far enough to contact the bunks, which are necessarily in a flat array. It also needs the roller to launch, but the friction with the bunks in shallow water could be prohibitive. A slick spray on the bunks may be in order.

It would seem to me that the roller should be at about the same height as the bunks. Lower and the boat would drag on the rear corners of the bunks. Higher and the boat would be held up off the bunks after being moved forward (or, if the roller was behind the bunks and not then in contact with the boat, would inhibit launching because it stuck up above the transom, and would hook it onto the trailer.

Sol at least to me, it makes sense to have the roller at the same basic height as the bunks, from a simple reasoning standpoint.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
therrick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight, Joe. It took a while to get to the trailer project, but finally have it working well. I dumped the roller because it had failing rubber and had been bent slightly; man I hope the boat wasn't the cause though I see no outward signs of it. I also replaced the two warped bunks with four new ones; two about three inches on each side of the center strake and two more a couple of inches outside the others. The bunks are made of three pieces of treated decking lumber laminated with Gorilla glue and epoxy coated screws then covered with some nice carpet Champion Trailers sells to retrofit EZ Loaders. The lamination should keep them from warping. The old carpet was that astro-turf stuff that gripped the boat and hated to let go. Although I got a can of liquid rollers I've not used it yet; the new carpet seems fine as is. The boat seems to ride better on four bunks, but that may just be a bit of conceit.

Now I can turn my attention to cleaning and outfitting the boat itself.

Thanks again,

Tom Herrick
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

therrick-

Sounds like you did the right thing(s)! Good on on ya'! Joe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: