The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Wallas Stoves and Battery Monitors
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Wallas 1300 Heater, I believe the same mechanism, and have successfully started it as low as 11.6 volts (measured at the heater terminals). I think my manual says 11.0 Volts minimum (that would be at the unit not the battery), so would have to allow for any voltage drop between the battery and unit dependent upon wire gauge used.

I've read other members say 12.0 volts minimum for success -- probably measured at the battery.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man....and for all this time....I thought the little red blinking light on the wallas ..... WAS my low voltage indicator. Mr. Green Mr. Green

then... i learned to really trust the high dollar leave it running all the time in the dock on board marine battery charging unit on the boat..... it really worked!! and no more blinking red lights.... but, just to be sure, on those cold mornings on the lake with the heavy fog lifting from the water, I found it 100% safe to fire up the starboard motor, then warm up the wallas as to ensure a nice, smooth, fire it up once breakfast cooking.

Thinking I will go with the gauges next time round....and, I too like being able to see the volts on the batteries without having to push buttons and switches... just a simple glance..and hopefully a nice smile.

Byrdman.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOOSE wrote:

Now, here's the key question: What is the minimum voltage required to ensure the Wallas starts the first time? I have a 125 DU.
Al

Mine likes a minimum of 12v. If I don't have 12.5v I start the motor first and let it run until the stove is lit and warming. I think it is the ignition cycle that requires the max voltage. The stove will run fine down to 11.5v once it is fired up.

Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
State or Province: VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Just a thought to consider...

When these new meters are placed in the your systems, has any consideration been given to placing waterproof fuse holders in line with each positive lead to the meter? The smaller current value would be preferred.

Most inexpensive analog meters will deliver full scale deflection with only 1/1000 of an amp, or 1milliamp. The digital voltmeter should be much less, depending on the analog to digital converters input needs and its scaling factors. In otherwords, it is a specialized display processor whose load on the sense line is in the neighborhood of meaningless.

I mention the fuse to protect the wiring harness from a possible electrical fire. This fuse will also protect the metering equipment.

Regardless of which unit you use, the readings are an indication of the voltage at the meter's terminals. The total losses beyond each of the meter's terminals and the metering device's % of accuracy will modify your true battery voltage indication on the device.

Properly size the wire [remember the length is 2x the distance, going and coming].

Clean and use tight wx-proof connections [poor connections turn into resistive connections and losses will build], including within the fuse holders.

Properly route the cabling [watch for chaffing and hot points].

This will give you the best probable accuracy and safety. IHO

CBRAT #208
2005 CD25 #075 SEA ANGEL (SOLD)
USCGAUX (RET), USN(RET)
Broadcast TV ENG(RET)
ka1rx@verizon.net
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to go ahead and buy the Marcum Technologies B200 from Cabelas. ($29.95). You can vist the Marcum site http://www.marcumtech.com/products/product_detail.php?ProdSKU=10350&ProdCat1=3

Real easy install. It monitors each battery every 5 seconds, but true, it is in % only. But for a simple guy like me, knowing the % of battery is good enough for now. I bought the surface mount and installed it next to the battery switch. If I get a couple of years out of it, it would be money well spent. If I need something more in the future, I can remove the Marcum unit and you will never know it was there.

I am 100% better off than when I started. % - get it? Never mind.

Safe boating

John
Swee Pea
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Angel wrote:
'Just a thought to consider...

When these new meters are placed in the your systems, has any consideration been given to placing waterproof fuse holders in line with each positive lead to the meter?

Yes, the wiring schematic for the Blue Sea 3 bank monitor calls for fuses for each lead.
Al

Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise, the Marcum 200 comes with all the wire needed for the install and two fuse holders to monitor two batteries.

John
Swee Pea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: