The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Battery Placement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Battery Placement Reply with quote

Apologies, as I think this has been discussed a few times before. This weekend, I started to install a battery charger in Constant Craving (C22), and discovered that I really HATE the way my batteries are shoehorned into the starboard lazarette. The way they are installed, I think I have to pull the battery switch to get a battery out.

Anyone else fighting this one?

I am thinking of moving one battery out, but not sure where I want to locate it. I am thinking of between the fuel cells, and perhaps upsizing to a group 27 or group 31. I clearly do not like the thought of the battery being exposed to flooding if we get pooped, but I want to be able to perform routine maintenance without having to do major surgery.

I would love to hear how others have solved this one....

Regards,

Steve
Constant Craving, 2005 C22 Cruiser
digger

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Battery Position Reply with quote

Since Snoopy-C has her kicker motor on the starboard side, I put the 2 batteries in the port lazerette. This evens the weight out, and still leaves some room for other items in the lazerette. I put a water pump in the starboard lazerette so I can wash down things through that system. Seems that no matter how things are arranged, there are a maize of wires, cables, hoses, etc that one needs to deal with. My $.02
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W/S-

I have my second battery between the fuel tanks. There's no problem with pooping on freshwater lakes, and in any water, salt or fresh, with a good battery box you've got some time before the box would flood, and even then it doesn't short out massively and die right off.

Another way is to put the second battery in the port lazarette, assuming you don't have it set up as a baitwell or reserved for something else.

I have a 3rd and 4th group 27 under the forward dinette seat as well. Love the 460 amp-hrs of power. No need for fancy isolators, gagues, and complex systems to separate battery functions. Brute amperage eliminates wussy questions about battery condition, amperage draw, and voltage.

Be aware of the effect of the battery placement's effect on center of gravity and boat balance. Try the battery in the new placement with the boat on the water to see if it negatively affects your balance.

And be sure to use adequate sized cables for the length required and quality battery boxes that can be strapped down and shut tight.

Others will also offer their opinion. HTH.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Redƒox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my set-up http://www.msnusers.com/C-DoryRedFox/fueltanks.msnw

EZ, but a little costly: take a looksee at my solution. One of my primary objectives was to utilize battery weight, and keep it right on the floor where it belongs. Fuel is weight also, but it is constantly changing, so weight placement of fuel (to me) should be less critical. Placing fuel tanks in the very stern is something I am learning to dislike! I have mine on the side for that reason - the changing weight from empty to full is not that noticeable anymore. Some day I will make better tanks that are narrower and about a inch or so off the floor, to give me lower center of gravity, than my current "fix". Note

Relocating batteries is going to involve you going and getting some "welding cable" Cool (hi amperage carrying capacity cable) so you can relocate batteries to where you want them, and not compromise your current. Idea

I gotta get -- poof Bat
Redƒox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... oops Neutral this link is my battery stuff http://www.msnusers.com/C-DoryRedFox/yourwebpage.msnw
Levity

City/Region: Shippensburg
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Levity
Photos: Levity
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Steve,
Another solution to the cramped lazarette is to move the battery switch. Levity has the battery switch mounted in the extreme aft area of the starboard storage compartment that runs under the starboard gunwale. An enclosure was made from starr board(a forward bulkhead and an inboard facing sliding door). The aft end of the enclosure was left open as it connects directly to the starboard lazarette. This placement of the battery switch allows for ease of access to the batteries and battery cables. The switch itself is easily accessed via the sliding door of the switch enclosure. Less battery cable is needed for this remedy than locating the batteries between the tanks. I moved the batteries from between my tanks to the lazarette due to corrosion issues with the stainless screws used to secure the battery straps to the deck (hull). Anything screwed into the balsa cored hull lacks appeal due to concerns of water infiltration into the screw holes and potential rot. A desire to have ease of visual access to the bilge well and attendant bilge pump was an added incentive. The boat is easier to clean without the batteries located between the tanks as they acted as a sediment dam when the cockpit was flushed.
A photo will follow soon.
Mike 'Levity'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: