The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Anyone familiar with both C-Dory's and Eastern boats?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oblio13

City/Region: Meredith
State or Province: NH
Vessel Name: Brad Rohdenburg
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Anyone familiar with both C-Dory's and Eastern boats? Reply with quote

Care to compare and contrast the two makes?
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remarks withdrawn....opening mouth and removing foot as we speak.

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke

Last edited by Papillon on Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that he is asking to compare a semi dory and a Down East type of boat. The lobster boats, Duffy, and the nearest to the C Dory is the Rosborough 246. There are a fair amount of cross over between these two boats--and some Rosborough owners have been C Dory owners.

The Down East type of boat is often straight run aft, flat buttocks with a round chine, , and a moderate V foreward. It is also a semidisplacement boat. My personal opinion is that all in all the C Dory is a more stable and better sea boat.

The Rosborough often are much slower than the C Dory and are run at displacement speeds--with twins up to 15 to 17 knots and occasionally with large engines up to 30 knots. My feeling is the C Dory is more effecient in use of fuel. But the Down East boats are less likely to pound.
They are good boats, and I had considered one when I was making the decision on the Tom Cat 255. I am still a member of their list and plan on making a cruise with this group later this year.

It is a little like comparing a C Dory and A Sea Sport--both have some good features. The Rosborough has pilot house doors on the side--I see this as a negitive, because of water intrusion. The Rosborough has perment foreward facing seats, the V Berth is slighly shorter than the C Dory, and the head is more cramped than the 25 or Tom Cat--and below the helm console. The side deck access is about the same as C Dory. There is an extended cabin top over the aft cockpit--and a high and low freeboard model.

There are a number of other down east boats--but the Rosborough comes to mind when thinking of comparison with the C Dory.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - when he said "Easten Boats" I believe he was referring to the brand Eastern Boats. The most comparable model to the CD seems to be the 24' lobster boat. Take a look at the link to see. I've never seen one other than on-line.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,
Most likely he was. I had looked at that web site before I replied--and the 24 does have a typical "down east" hull. Some of the other boats are a harder chine.

Looks like good construction and lamination.
New Hampshire Guy
Dealer

C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: New Hampshire Guy
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eastern is an excellent boat, very well made (here in NH) and with a great reputation. It is a different hull but with many of the same qualities as a C-Dory.
The 22' Model Eastern closest to the C-Dory is only enclosed on 3 sides and is 600 lbs heavier. Min recommended power is 115HP (which is the New C-Dory 22's max HP).
They are simple and self bailing boats and will achieve a higher max speed in rough weather due to the deeper V shape. The price you pay is a bigger engine and not so efficient MPG in transit.
They are similar boats in the excellent construction, reputation, and durability catagories. But they have very different attraction in the all weather, cruising, and overnight sleeping/anchor-out possibilities.
The people that own Easterns' swear by them and keep them for years if not decades (like the C-Dory).
Final sentence, an excellent boat but with different abilities.
Good luck!
John
Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Eastern's are built near our house, I checked them out thoroughly when determining which boat to get. As John says, well made, good value.

A signifcant factor that made the 22' Eastern unacceptable to me is the very narrow deck going forward without good hand rails especially when trying to get around the corner of the cabin to the foredeck.

I didn't feel that I could safely anchor. So, I crossed it off my list. I haven't checked the access to the foredeck on the newer 24' model.

Rick from Maine
Oblio13

Vessel Name: Brad Rohdenburg
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I've been off for a few days - traveling.

I've seen a few Eastern 22's, and they seem comparable to the C-Dory 19, although with the aforementioned higher weight and vee hull. The model I'm most curious about is their 27' - I've only seen that one in brochures. It looks on paper much like the C-Dory 22.
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 27 looks like a great fishing boat. It would be interesting to see how much cockpit space you would have with a full cabin like on my 27. It looks like their cabin sits further back on the boat leaving you with less room in the cabin and less room in the cockpit. Still I like the looks of it. Kind of reminds me of a Shamrock but with an I/O instead of direct inboard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: