The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Grab Rail "Gap"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Grab Rail "Gap" Reply with quote

How can one "bridge the gap" between the grab rail along the top side of the cabin and the bow rail (with a secure handhold, rather than simply grasping the eyebrow)?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tom Cat 255 has a railing all around above the front eyebrow. I felt that one was needed on the 22, and I would think that either a short (18" which I am adding aft at the very outer edge of our TC255) or a circular railing as on the new boats would be in order.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Stanley-J

City/Region: Highland, NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Plan- B
Photos: Stanley-J
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a new still in the box, stainless steel handicap (I hope I'm politically correct) grab rail at a yard sale for 2 dollars. I think HomeDepot sells them for about $20. I haven't mounted it yet, but though it was a great buy. I might mount it on the transom for a safety hold to climb back on board. I though maybe you could use them for a topside grab rail or buy a few for hand holds in the cabin....my 2 cents
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Anna Leigh's photo album. David has added stainless hand holds to the eyebrow.
Ron
Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
State or Province: VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a timely question for me on handrails. I will be adding 2 to the bow [windshield] area and 2 in the head.

I just received the 4 hand rails that I purchased from the factory. I plan to mount 1 on each side of the superstructure, beside the windshields to give me that 'safe handhold' as I transision to the bow to set lines.

For the 2 other rails I plan on mounting them in the head to assist the 'visitor' to get off the 'throne' by having one between the door jam and inside window. The last one will either be on the opposite wall or behind the 'throne and toward the galley side. This rear handle could help stabilize anyone as they use the pump, or stand admiring the view.

The factory handles were the only ones I could find without premounted studs for mounting that gave a clean uniform appearance. The mounting screws are much cleaner than 'studs' protruding through the bulkheads in my opinion.

If time and WX permits, I will try to start the installation process this weekend.

CBRAT #208
2005 CD25 #075 SEA ANGEL (SOLD)
USCGAUX (RET), USN(RET)
Broadcast TV ENG(RET)
ka1rx@verizon.net
Norm S

City/Region: Tacoma Wa
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 18 Angler
Vessel Name: The Divine Miss C
Photos: The Divine Miss C
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the picture of "added roof rails" on page 1 of my album. Allows for a more fwd grab plus I added rails on either side of the bunk hatch. I can move fwd without ever giving up a secure handhold.
Norm

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most grab rail modifications seem to be to

1. add handholds (about 10-12 inches long) on both sides of the brow,

and/or

2. add handholds (about 18 inches long) on both sides of the Bomar hatch.

Between the two sets, a transit to the bow from the cabin and back would seem much more secure.

For a temporary set-up, or for really rough conditions, a 1/2" three strand mooring line could be riggged from the bow pulpit to a strong eyelet on the hood for a continuous handhold. One could even snap a safety harness to it.

Another good reason to have an electric remote controlled windlass(!)

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I have never given it a thought. What worries me is when I might be coming along my starboard side, and have to get around the radio mast, especially if I am carrying a line in my hand like when I pick up a mooring in the wind. I am a believer in "One hand for the ship." Over the years, one gets use to timing waves so that you are not in peril at that moment. Same with going forward and having to bridge the gap.

I have added a windless so that I do not have to go forward while anchoring.

Also, I don't think anybody has mentioned it, but going through the forward hatch is another way to dealing with lines on the forward deck.

Interesting thread.

Fred

PS: In the book FATAL STORM, a story about the tragic Sydney-Hobart Race, a sailor went overboard because the boat was hit with a large wave, just at the time he was switching his safety harness. It can happen.

PPS: For us older guys, Ibuprofen will make us a little more agile. It works for me.

ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Why we are at it, Have you thought how you are getting back aboard if you do miss the rail when you go to grab it?

Fred
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new factory hand rails for the front can be seen in my "Thataway" Album. (Best seen in "In the lift on the Bayou" photo)

Most folks who use safety harnesses and tethers use two tethers--often one 3' an one 6'. We always spaced them so that one would be clipped on strong bolts or jacklines at all times. However in rough conditions we do not go on the deck on the C Dory type of boats.

As for reboarding--most of use feel that we could get back aboard on swim steps/boarding ladders. I advocate use of the Life Sling for person overboard recovery. However we have a Garhauer lifting davit--mostly for lifting motors, or the generator, however the Admiral can lift me aboard with it. Remember that it is only minutes cold water when co-ordination is lost due to hypothermia, and self recovery may be difficult.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FANTASTIC TOPIC..... and I feel much better knowing that some of my other C-Dory owning friends really spend time...."ON" their boat and not just IN thier boat. Yep, give me handles for sure. I was going around the gunnels on my 1984 Angler, 18' version, and when I am going forward on the gunnels....there is for sure leaning of the vessel going on. To make maters worse... I had removed all my handrails as to restore them.... It was way nervouse time on top, but I had to do it to wash the salt water off the boat, and get the forward ropes tied to the pylons at the dock. I too look to add them around the hatch (which I can not pass through...) and on the forward top too. I feel sure there is a real natical term for this, but an old friend of mine who use to do a lot of single hand sailing told me to always drag a fender on the end of a rope about 200' long, just in case you go over.....and need to "pull" yourself back to the boat. I did,...it happened, and I was truly glad I had that rope.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: