The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Repairing Cracked Glass - Center Window - 1994 22' Angler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bifish99

City/Region: Kitsap County
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Rosie D.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Repairing Cracked Glass - Center Window - 1994 22' Angler Reply with quote

I have a crack that has propogated about 1/2 way through the center window. I want to replace it before my annual trip to Quatsino Sound coming up in two weeks. C-Dory suggested calling Diamond Glaze, but they professed no knowledge of windows that old. Dan at C-Dory subsequently suggested removing the entire window and taking it to a glazer for replacement. I have removed the inner securing flange, but am having a tough time getting the outer seal to release, and don't want to damage the gel coat or aluminium frame by trying to pry the assembly out.

Does anyone know if the glass can be removed without removing the entire assembly. The inner flange appears to have to be secured to the main assembly (perhaps by a lip?), but does have a seam and looks like it could be opened up adn removed.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Chip
bifish99

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be someone out there that has replaced glass in the center window on one of these old girls???
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry man. I wish I could help but I only have experience breaking glass not repairing it. Embarassed
Ron
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to order a new one. Call the factory. Also consider calling your Insurance provider. Trust me windows are not cheap.......

Christopher Bulovsky
catdogcat

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Plankton
Photos: catdogcat - TBA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced my one of my rear windows a couple of weeks ago. I have an 88 cruiser. You do not have to take apart the window. All you have to do is remove the rubber stuff that surrounds the outside edge of the glass. Here's the hard part: You will notice that the glass is somehow still held in. It is glued with some kind of glass caulking. I used a metal paint scraper and ran it along the edge of the glass and in between the glue. This is a bit of work and you have to take your time to get the glass loose without breaking it. Also be sure to duct tape the crack as it will get worse when you stress the glass further. You will need the whole piece to take to the glass shop. I just took my piece to an auto glass shop and they cut me a new piece. I did opt for auto safety glass. They will also have the caulking. Hope this helps.
bifish99

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Catdogcat...I eventually figured it out on my own after removing the entire assembly...which made it easier to remove the glass safely anyway. The vinyl seal is pretty old, but I belive I can get it back in OK.

Now why didn't anyone I talked with at Marben know this? Several years back, seemed like I could always get someone with knowledge of my old girl there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: