nscogin

City/Region: Washington DC/Wareham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dawn Treader
Photos: Dawn Treader
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just gave up our Hereshoff America 18 foot cat boat when we bought the C-Dory. But we sold it to a family member for a nominal amount and an agreement to sell if back to us if we ever want it! On Saturday we took delivery of a 50 year old Down Easter sailing dinghy so I can get my sailing fix from time to time. I spent a couple of hours on it that day before leaving town for the week. There's nothing like sailing to teach you what you need to know about wind, current, life . . .

I know what you mean about the sport fishers. I can't tell whether they don't care how they affect other boats or actually get perverse pleasure from making other people's lives more difficult.

Norma Scogin
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Norma,
The HA is a great looking boat... did you have the "flag" sail? A real classic (much like the C-Dory). Thumbs Up

This past winter while on the tri, we had one sportfisher change course to come closer, then turned hard. They were close enough that, even over the roar of their engine, we could hear people onboard groan as the wake hammered us... the skipper appeared to be laughing. Evil or Very Mad I hollered on the radio; no response. I called their office; their official response: it never happened. It's no wonder sailors are wary of some powerboaters. Sad

I promise to be a considerate kinda guy with our C-Dory.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even on inland lakes, there are rude captains.... Having sailed and motored, I have no big biases, but as someone just said, there are those types on both crafts. On one of our local lakes, I often spent the night on my little houseboat, so saw alot of amazing interpretations of the right of way rule by the local large sailing craft were observed: 1) Lawyers fixing groumet meals down in the galley for him and girlfriend while cruising on autopilot at 11pm. Small anchored and drifting fishermen were expected to dodge out of the way since no person was minding the helm at all. 1) Twice, I was roused out of sleep to go and try to pull these large sailcraft off shoals. 2) Once, I was aroused at 1:30am to drag one of these boats off the DAM! He was in the forward bunk with his girlfriend and the DAM did not understand who really had the right away! So that's a hint about some of the types who 'pilot' different types of crafts... not limited to any one type. John
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogon dory wrote:
\

It is, however, a statistical certainty that travelling at 20 knots as opposed to 7 knots gives the guy on the sportfisherman more opportunity to expose his nature to a broader audience than the equivalently obtuse sailor.

Hi Dan,
I hadn't considered it from that statistical point. Down here in "Mexico Lite", there are a lot more sportfishers and darn few... well, OK, I guess I've never seen a 70' maxi racer here. Wink Perhaps the fact that you'd have to run a ways out into the Gulf to find enough depth for the keel would be a consideration.

It's likely with a maxi racer you'd have some warning that they were going to try to wake you and turn off: the crew of 15 scrambling from one side to the other would be a give away! Wink

Best wishes,
Jim B. (Just put the catboat away, getting ready for our treck to the north)
nscogin

City/Region: Washington DC/Wareham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Dawn Treader
Photos: Dawn Treader
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The HA is a great looking boat... did you have the "flag" sail?

Yes, when we bought the boat, then 28 years old, it still had the original flag sail. (I think the boat had been stored quite a bit over the years.) We had to replace it a couple of years later, but of course kept the old one. I've been meaning to hang it on the rec room wall.

The Down Easter appears to have its original sail as well -- it notes the boat make and hull number (4) in red lettering like this:

[down arrow]
E
H

Norma
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: