The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

BATTERY SWITCH
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barefoot

City/Region: St. Johns River
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Altered Attitudes
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the feedback, Sea Wolf. I'd hate to cook a band new 16. I should clarify what I said about the "poor man's automatic battery switch," specifically the activating side of the solenoid being wired to the On terminal of the ignition switch: I should have said the On terminal where only the ignition is on and the radio, instruments, heater, etc, all go off during starting. That way, a depleted coach battery doesn't drain the starter battery the moment you hit Start. Just don't first linger at Full On, where they are parallel. Never mind how I know about that part.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barefoot-

Thanks for the comment and the update!

The system should serve you well!

Let us know how it works out with a post so as to help others who might be interested to get some final feedback.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just updated my battery management system and thought I'd contribute to this thread. As I installed my new chartplotter/sounder I decided that I wanted to eliminate those dreaded "voltage drops" that occur when I try to start my outboard in battery position 2(house) because I forgot to change my battery switch. The starter labors and the electronics blink out. Somehow I stumbled onto this http://www.bluesea.com/ and after a little research I decided to do a comprehensive upgrade. I went with the Dual Circuit Plus Battery Switch, BatteryLink ACR, and a pair of busbars to clean up my wiring. All of these components are mounted on an acrylic panel that cost me all of $12.00 including fabrication. Basically, the #1(cranking) battery is solely dedicated to the starter. All the electronics, dc panel, downriggers, etc., are wired to # 2(house). The Batterylink switch sits between the two batteries and only after #1 is charged does it "close the circuit" and commence to charge #2. Bottom line, the starting battery is always charged and online and when I go to crank my starter the electronics are unaffected because they're entirely isolated. I never have to remember to change the battery switch. A combine option IS available if #1 ever starts to go away. I posted some pictures in Adeline's album for anyone that's interested. http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album206&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Falco

City/Region: Flagstaff
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2004
Photos: Bucking Coho
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:
(Apr 15, 2006) OK, Robbi:

blah blah blahblah, blah blah. (LOL)

It turns out this Blue Seas battery selector switch has AFD (forget about what it means - you need it) built in:

http://www.bluesea.com/product.asp?Product_Id=31165

I just put one on my boat and plan to swap out my other no-doubt-soon-to-fail Guest switch with another. I like it alot. Very compact, solid.

Let us know what you learn from the book...

Guest battery switch #2 failed in May. Another Blue Seas to be installed. Glad to hear the factory is no longer using the Guest switches.
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adeline, How has your mounting board with the velcro held up?
I am in the middle of rewiring my boat and am thinking about doing something similar.
I don't want my bus bar falling off and rolling around though and I fish open water a lot.
What would you do dofferent?
I like the way yours is laid out in the lazerette.

Lookin forward to your reply...

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ray,
Quote:
How has your mounting board with the velcro held up?
It was a GREAT idea but so far has had a few problems. The location I selected is definitely the right one to tie everything together. However, since screws or thru-bolts aren't an option there another solution is required. The "super velcro" would work perfectly if the mounting surface were flat. Sadly, it isn't. My last attempt entailed propping wooden dowels to hold the panel in place until the velcro backed adhesive could cure. So far so good. I will require more time before I could reccommend it to you however. Those halibut trips you take can be rough and you don't want your panel flopping around. However, there is a solution that I guarantee will work. Get some( 2 or 3 or 4 ) small wooden or plastic "firring strips" the height of the panel and 5200 them where needed. Then simply screw the panel to them. That is the way I attached a 1/2" plywood circle to secure my old guest swich. It held for 15+ years. As to the system itself I can say it's WONDERFUL. The starting battery is always brimming, the electronics are totally isolated, and I have no switches to manage. It's just great !
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I suspected the velcro was a bit weak for my application.
I appreciate the data on the 5200 and wood solution and plan to do something similar. I wish I had done this last year when I priced it out. Wire has sure gone up since last year...
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the Blue Sea ACR on my boat for almost a year now and really like it. I also have a West Marine on/off battery switch to combine the batteries. The reason for the WM switch is because it has a third small terminal that is energized when the switch is in the on position. I ran a wire from that third terminal to a small led light on my dash, so I would know the switch is on. I sometimes forget to look at the switch to see if it is on and the light on the dash reminds me.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rewired my 22 in April. Installed third battery. Two in port lazarette and one in sboard lazarette. Added large post negative busses in each lazarette and also a small post one on sboard side. So only one negative and one positive cable on each battery (except each start battery also has a postive stern bilge pump wire direct to battery). The house battery postive connects to 50 amp breaker then to the new BEP multi switch. From the BEP house switch two to gauge wires feed the house panels with a 30 amp fuse on each near the BEP switch. The two VSRs allow the house battery to be charged from either or both engines as soon as the VSR detects the respective starting battery is charged to (or at) a certain level. Very pleased with this system. Also added fan, red led night lighting, upgraded charging system, radar, two more 12 volt outlets and one more 110 outlet while I was about it.

The BEP installation basically followed BEP's wiring diagram. They didn't specify the fuse sizes to use on either side of the house switch. I also kept one of my previous 1,2, off, all switches. It is labeled emergency use only and is key locked. If I ever needed to it would allow combining the house battery with one of the start batteries.

Regards,

jimcinfra

City/Region: Crystal Springs, MS
State or Province: MS
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Delta Belle
Photos: Delta Belle
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you allow me to butt in with a question concerning charging a dual battery system using a "float charge" charger. This is what I have done so please let me know if this is the correct way: I positioned the battery switch on "all" and put the charger clips on the starting battery. Will the float charger charge both batteries set up this way?
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. And as long as the charger is connected and charging, the ALL position is fine, but I'd switch to one or the other when not charging to prevent the batteries from eventually 'fighting' each other.
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: