JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Done! Reply with quote

No, not the boat... although Scott tells me that the construction will be done this next week, and then the rigging starts. Thursday was our last day in the studio... it felt a bit like watching our daughter get married - that which we have grown and nurtured now belongs to another. No sadness; we are very excited to start this next chapter. Very Happy

We loaded two U-Haul trailers, hooked them up to the pick-up and van and hit the road on Friday. It is now Saturday evening and we are halfway to our Texas home. The wireless broadband card is working well here in the prairies of southern Oklahoma. It has been two days since logging on here, and it is a pleasure to have a bit of home with us while on the road.

We are patiently (though excitedly) awaiting word from Scott that Wild Blue is ready to be picked up and we will head to the Northwest. Sure hope that we are able to get together with some of you folks while we're there shaking down the new boat.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys have to stop by and see us. i cant wait to see how your 25 turned out. we have never been for a ride in one and would really like to see how much differnet it is then the 22. hope you have " wild blue "soon.
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, it would be our pleasure to have you and Susan onboard... after all, it was your kindness that showed us (hands-on) how these boats perform. I'll be in touch as the time gets closer.

We rolled into the Tip of Texas last night... 1700+ miles in 2 1/2 days... driving separate... and each pulling a trailer. Joan drove the new truck all the way and kept telling me, "You're going to love the way this thing tows!" I'm going to have to drive it to the Northwest to find out.

It will likely take us a couple days to get the trailers unloaded (Joan says the orange of the U-Haul doesn't match her red truck); then we'll get the catboat out and play until we hear from Scott or Jeff.

So far, this retirment stuff has been a LOT of work. Wink

See you soon.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

Congrats from a guy who retired a year ago. I hope that you have as much fun on your next great adventure as I have.

Hope to meet you two some time in the future.

Nick
"Valkyrie"
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Nick. We are finding that, 4 days into it, this retirement stuff isn't for sissies! Crook Today, we unloaded the two trailers, carried stuff into the house, reloaded one trailer, hauled it to a climate-control storage place 30 miles inland (our lot is a lofty 7' above sea level, with the house up a few steps from that), unloaded the trailer again, packed it into the storage unit, dropped off the trailers, and headed for home... all this in 90 degree temperatures with 380% humidity! Disgust

I am so sore even my hair hurts! Rolling Eyes

At least now we are on no one else's schedule. It's going to take a while to get through all the unpacking, but we can do it in air-conditioned comfort at our own pace. And Molly the catboat cat is so excited to have furniture again!

I've been promised that we can get the sailboat out of storage on Wednesday... that will feel a bit more like "time off." Then, patiently awaiting the phone call from the factory folks to come get the boat.

I have appreciated your input and advice here. I look foward to the time our paths cross so I can shake your hand in person.

Best wishes,
Jim B. (4 days retired and down-right exhausted!)
R-Matey

City/Region: Bow
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: R-Matey
Photos: R-Matey
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Retirement the CD Way Reply with quote

Hi Jim and Joan,

Congrats on your retirement Thumbs Up Right now you're right where we were fifteen months ago. Still tough shaking some of those work related habits (like waking up at 4AM every morning) but what a perfect time of year to start the next adventure of your lifetime.

If there's any chance that you might be in the Pacific Northwest during the time of the Bellingham C-Brat gathering (July 14-16), please come up and say hello. You don't need your C-Dory, just show up.

Ruth and Joe
R-Matey
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the invite, Ruth and Joe, but we won't be heading that direction for at least a couple weeks... I promised the Blonde some R&R (if you call unpacking a gazillion boxes relaxing Crook) here in Texas before we head out to get the boat. It would certainly be our pleasure to see you two again. Have fun at the gathering... we'll be looking foward to attending those in the future.

Best wishes,
Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: