View previous topic :: View next topic  
redman

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Tour
Photos: C-Tour
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Gas fumes on a 22' - Safety issue Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I checked the archives and could'nt find a thread addressing the following problem (although there was one called "Gas fumes on a 25'):
When I take the canvas cockpit cover off my 22' (not a camperback) there is a noticeable odor of gasoline. The cockpit deck is clean and I have not seen any indication of fuel in the bilge, still have the odor. I"ve checked for leaks... none. Am hoping it is the result of the enclosed cockpit trapping the heavier gasoline fumes that come from the tanks. I always thought that gas tanks would have some odor whenever the tank contains gasoline... not sure if this is correct. If wrong, I need to get something fixed but not sure what. Any comments are appreciated.

Mike on C-Tour
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I also have a 2005 C-22 and had the same odor when I took the mooring cover off. Not saying it's the same, but check this thread and you may find you do have a leak of sorts.

I use Stabil in my tanks religiously. I think the Stabil caused the stain that was easy to spot, and if you don't have your tanks all the way full, you won't get as much fuel slopping out of the split as I did. There is a bronze fitting "glued" into the tank, with a standpipe with both inside and outside threads on it. A 5/16" barb is screwed into the bronze fitting and apparently someone on steroids tightened mine down. When I removed the tanks I found both the fill and the vent fittings were split vertically. Not a big split, just enough to make that mess I had - which was a long time in the making, btw, because the gas only came out in sloppy seas with fullish tanks. It doesn't take much to make it smell.

C-Dory was very quick about helping me and immediately shipped a new set of Moeller tanks, which the factory has switched to since 2005. I replaced the old tanks and the smell is totally gone.

OTOH, with the new tanks I notice they bulge way more than the earlier variety. At least athwartships.
DaveS

State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Here is another possiblility.... the fumes you are smelling may be coming from the air vents mounted on the outside of the vessel near your fill ports. (Possibly your cover encloses those as well?) As the temperature gets warmer the fuel expands and pushes fumes through these vents. I'm in the habit of filling my tanks "quite" full during the winter months, but if I do that during the warmer/hotter months, I not only have a predominant fuel smell, but sometimes experience fuel expanding up and out the vents....therefore, I try to refrain from "topping" my tanks off to such excess. (Other than on those occasions, I've experienced no problem).

C-Brat #16
redman

State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Tour
Photos: C-Tour
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sneaks and Dave, Thanks for the feedback will check on the fittings and canvas cover today... Let you know the outcome. Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: